Fungus cure -- okay for newts?

R

rebekka

I have two japanese fire belly newts. A a week or so ago I took some plants from my fish tank and put them in my newt tank. Just yesterday I noticed that two of my fish have this black fungus on them. So... I bought "Fungus Cure" and put it in my fish tank. I was worried that maybe the plants I put into my newts tank have the fungus on it, so I put a bit of the medication into their tank. And now I'm even more worried because I don't know if this stuff is okay for amphibians!! ahhh. What should I do? I feel like such an idiot. I think I'm going to do a partial water change right now. but, will this be enough? Have you even used this product for your newts? It says that a the carbon in my filter will remove the medication, so I'm going to put in a new carbon pack right now.

thanks for your help.

It seems that the new carbon pack has cleaned out most of the medication (the green color it causes is mostly gone)... so hopefully it'll be okay. The newts seem to be doing fine.

If it turned the water green, it may contain malachite green, which is considered a no-no for amphibians. Some people have used malachite green at half strength on axolotls and the axolotls don't die, but some sources consider it toxic.

In addition to the carbon, I'd recommend going ahead with a couple of large water changes (up to 50%).

ah, thanks! I will definitely do that.

I just checked the box and its says that it has Victoria Green B and Neutroflavine. Is this just as bad?

(Message edited by bekka on December 22, 2006)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back