Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Feeding method

S

samlims

i have gravel in my tank, when i feed live bloodworms to my newts alot of these bloodworms end up going spare, sinking into cracks in the gravel etc, this builds up into alot of dead bloodworms, would it be a good idea if i made a seperate feeding pool on the land section, where the newts could feed and where i could easily take out the uneaten food, like a shallow dish?

A

abrahm

You could make an underwater feeding section by submerging a small dish and placing the bloodworms in it for feeding and remove the extra with a turkey baster.

Also, switching to a sand or glass bottom substrate would make it easier to remove all waste products and uneaten food from the tank.

J

jennifer

Another option is to barricade the gravel to create one corner or area of the tank that has no gravel. I once made a barricade out of plexiglass, rocks, and aquarium silicone. I've also seen a similar idea using a brick to keep the gravel on only one half of the tank.

C

coen

There are also people that place a strip of glass in the bottom front of the tank, thus 'pushing' the gravel to back and leaving a clean strip of open space to feed the newts, which is easily cleaned since it's just a glass bottom

S

samlims

thanks people, i think i'm going to buy some aquarium sand today, i think this is the best allround choice as it will look nice with the odd rock in aswell, my current gravel looks a bit unnatural if u ask me, so i just put the blood worms in and let the feast begin..

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1