Help Solve the Mystery

C

connie

My friend has a pair of Cynops Orientalis. Despite the temperature in Malaysia (27*C) the newts were fine for one week. They were both eating. But just now one of the newts, all of a sudden, started to struggle in the water and was tossing around. I advised my friend to guide the newt to land and then the newt just died. The other newt was fine but now seemed inactive all of a sudden after the first newt's death....

any clues as to why this happened?

How long did your friend have the newts? In other words, were they just from the pet shop one week ago, or had they been kept for a while?

I think they've been kept at the petshop for awhile... he had it for one week.

(Message edited by smellyocheese on November 15, 2005)

Then there are 2 big issues here. (1) Temperature. 27C is really hot for them. If the animals are healthy and acclimated gradually to that temperature, they can endure it. But they probably weren't. Which bring us to... (2) Import/sale. These newts were harvested from the wild and shipped from China, probably under terrible conditions. Pet shops don't take good care of them. They may have had bad water and no recognizable food for several weeks. It is quite common for C.o. to die during the first few weeks, no matter how well cared for they are. The animals very often "look OK" for quite a while, but at some point the stress and/or germs finally catch up with them.

yeah... that's what I told my friend too. Funny thing was that the newts were eating... so he really got a shock. I doubt that the 2nd newt would be able to make it for long...

thanks for all your help

Good luck with your second C. orientalis.Next newt or salamander you get should be a more hardy one like T. marmoratus or another hardy newt or salamander

Well good luck with that C orientalis

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>Josh S. wrote on Thursday, 17 November, 2005 - 21:50 :</font>

"Next newt or salamander you get should be a more hardy one like T. marmoratus or another hardy newt or salamander "<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

C orientalis are actually a hardy species if maintained properly. If T. marmoratus were as common and as commonly mistreated as C. orientalis you'd see the same thing happening with them.

Fortunately for T marmoratus they're protected from illegal collecting fairly well, so they're rare in the US. The majority of those that are in the US are being kept by those with knowledge and experience.

I wish it were that way for orientalis
sad.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back