Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

5 Toed Mudpuppy?

D

debera

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!! for your incredible website.
My son just received a Necturus ?? for his 5th birthday. Since our new friend's life span is into his college years, I want to make sure he/she gets the best care and home possible. I am having a rough time identifying his/her species. We have never had any animal other than the kitten/dog variety, although many a frog has been caught (and of course released) from the pond.
"Slippery" came with a Necturus Lewisi care sheet. He is 7 inches long with a very long vertically flat thin transparent tail (we can see his skeleton through it) and the flair gills like the young and mature Necturus kinds. But, he has no spots, is a light tan, comes up for big gulps of air, and most curious, Slippery has 5 toes on his back feet, instead of the four listed on all the species of Necturus. We really want to give him the best, please help me identify him so I can make sure his aquarium and surroundings and food are right when we go "Slippery" shopping today. Thanks so much.

W

william

that's great that your introducing your son to this hobby, but just make sure that he can't touch it, or feed it, necturus can give a nasty bite!

E

edward

Hi Debera,
The 5 toes on the hind feet are usually an indication that it is not a mudpuppy.
I would suspect that you probably have one of the color morphs of axolotl or a larval tiger salamander.
Can you post us a picture?
Ed

D

debera

Thank you for the warning! The lady who gave Slippery to us said my son could take him out and play with him. My son doesn't want to because Slippery "can't breathe out", so currently he has been just gently stroking Slippery's head, which Slippery seems to think is just fine. He is very gentle little guy right now.... however, there are many years to come! Best the rules be set properly now. Thank you. Any idea on what Slippery could be?

D

debera

Thank you, thank you, Ed. Yes, I will post one right away. This would change the ballgame, wouldn't it? I am so grateful to you for taking the time to answer me.

E

edward

Hi Debera,

When dealing with amphibians the best thing for the animal's health is for it to not be touched or held unless absolutely necessary as these actions remove the protective mucous coating on the skin.
While the animal may be tolerating the petting, it is probably not in the best interest of the animal for you to allow it to continue. Amphibians are animals that should just be looked at and not touched.
Ed

D

debera

Thank you, my son is so concerned as to not hurt him that it will be easy to explain it to him. Our little friend is quite active and curious even in just a little aquarium, it will be enough entertainment just to watch him when he gets his big digs to explore without touching him. I have attached a side and front picture of him. Isn't he cute? I just wish I knew what he was for sure.
41128.jpg
41129.jpg

J

joan

That's definately NOT a mudpuppy. My guess would be larval tiger sal, although it's not quite the season for them. It is however, most definately, an ambystomid. Most likely scenario is a tiger or an axolotl.

D

debera

Ed, you are a prince. Thank you.
OH MY WORD!! IS THIS LITTLE FELLOW GOING TO CHANGE!! We have such fun ahead for us!
The more I read the more I see the appreciation and fun the enthusiasts have in this hobby.
Off to the bait shop and aquarium store and.... thanks again.

J

joan

Debra, be sure to join and keep us updated on his progress. Tiger sals are very cool, lots of personality.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!