DIY - Setup Stuff (rocks, wood...)

S

steve

thehiya,
I was thinking about making some setup stuff by myself, some rocks, trunks, caves..., so that i can adapt it to what now it's inside the tank, i was wondering if i can use polyurethane foam (i don't know if this works well) i mean i want something that don't float and that i can mold and that ain't toxic for my orientalis newt. -Any idea?

steve - polyurethane foam floats. However, if you used it to stick rocks together, they would probably keep it down. Also note that you can buy black foam at pond supply places.

Hey great link Alan, it gave some good ideas like sticking stuff to the foam. And Jen, yes i feel it would be better if i stick rocks together, it would be more natural; luckily my newt is young and almost terrestrial, so i've got time to make things good and reach a well recreation of a natural environment and not to making things fast (and bad) and having finally something like an aquatic newt disneyland
lol.gif
which won't be useful for the newt. thank you for your ideas! when i make something i'll post a photo.

I want to make a large semi-aquatic tank and keep in it a couple of Salamanders, some newts, and some toads. My idea is to fit a glass panel using aquarium sealant about one third along the length of the tank. This would keep the dry area DRY rather than have all the soil/whatever in the other side waterlogged. A very long time ago I tried to partition a tank like this using sealant and it was a total nightmare, and it leaked totally removing the point of doing it. Can you get tanks adapted to be semi-aquatic like this? Can anyone offer me any tips on attaching a glass divider one third of the length along a tank and sealing it on both sides - is there a nack to it?

James - I've used aquarium sealant to put glass in place and never had any direct leakage. The only tips I have is to use plenty of sealant, and clean all glass surfaces with alcohol to get them very clean before using the silicone.

In one case, I had a lot of problems with "wicking". See tank #10 on page:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/setups2.shtml
Although the seal was tight, water was able to "wick" over into the dry side. Over a period of weeks, the water would get high enough under the land side that I had to find ways to remove it from the bottom of the substrate (not easy). It got very foul and swampy smelling down there.

Regarding your plans to mix newts, sals, and toads, please reconsider! I am a strong advocate for single-species setups. Please read:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/Mixing_disasters.shtml

James, I'm sure many people will post supporting opinions to Jen's about not mixing species. If you search the issue on the internet some people will say there is no problem with it, others will support Jen's opinion. I was sold Firebelly toads and newts together and told it was ok to keep them together. After I found this site I separated my newts and toads, but it was too late. As a result my first two newts died. Other than that good luck with whatever you decide to keep.

Jessica, I would agree that it's not a good idea to put the FBT with the newts. Is it okay to put a snail in with the FBT's? Also, will FBT's eat feeder guppies?

I've tried using dividers, but soon passed on them for much the same reason Jennifer mentioned, as the land area sound became boggy.

Instead, I decided to build up my land area taking cues from Ma' Nature.I created a mix that was of 4 sizes of sand and gravel, prettymuch evenly by volume, and to this added added about 1:2 ratios of peat to the mix. I wetted this down and stirred it well, till I could grab it out in clumps.

I covered the bottom of by tank in a layer of coarse .5-1 inch gravel. Then, on the "dry" end of the tank, I put down a layer of my mix, followed by a layer of large gravel and rocks, followed by another layer of mix, etc. Each time, I tapered a little further away from the "wet" end of the tank. I repeat this until the mount of material is about an inch or two above where I want my high waterline.

I tamp down the mixture with mild pressure in order to reduce any unexpected settling.

I then cover all al this is a 1:1 mix of peat and sand.

I keep everything very moist, and introduce moss and plants, which help to stablize the earthen mass you've built.

Now to fill it with water! I usually place a large rock, a little taller than my waterline on the wet end of the tank. I then SLOWLY pour the water in onto the rock. The rock diffuses the force of the water, so is doesn't tear up the lakebed I've built.

I've done this for myself and others, and, while it take a while to setup, looks good, is easy to maintain, and accommodates the critters nicely.

Hi everyone! I keep two chinese Fire Bellied newts and for their land area I have gravel which is held up by a little stone wall I bought from my pet store. The water level comes up to just below the stones to ensure its always damp. However as my newts spend alot of time on land still under the stones can become dirty quite quickly. I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips for a better land area which would be easier to clean and let my submerged filter do its job. At the minute I rinse it through with a spray bottle when I am doing partial water changes, however I have to remove the newts from the tank to clean it every month or two. If anyone has any ideas I would be very greatful.

Thanks, Hugh

Hugh, what kind of submersible filter do you have? Can you attach a piece of tubing to the outflow? If so, you can direct the water flow to go directly onto the gravel area. This may be able to keep the dirt rinsed away, and also ensure that the water in the gravel does not become stagnant. It's not a good setup if you have to dismantle it for cleaning; I have tanks that have been running for years without ever taking the whole thing apart for cleaning.

Thanks Jennifer, I think I should be able to direct the water over the stones although I dont know if it would be a long term solution. I have thought about floating islands or even some sort of suspended one but im kind of scared to try it as my newts like to walk down the sloped part of the gravel and never seem to go straight into the deeper water. I would be worried they would not go into the water at all. I think I will try to set up another tank with some sort of island instead of the stones it would probably be much better. Should I use some of the water from the existing tank if I set up another one?

Thanks for all your help!!

You should use some of the water, but more importantly, use some of the same rocks or filter media. These carry the beneficial bacteria that cycle the tank.

Hugh, here's a photo of a tank I had years ago that may be similar to yours. I discovered that the pebble area was stagnant, so I added a submersible filter with the outflow directed into the gravel bed. I was able to keep it running like that for a year without dismantling. I don't know if this helps at all, but here's the photo:

46223.jpg

Thanks Jennifer for all your help, I am going to try directing the water over the stones this week sometime so ill let you know how I get on and try to get you a photo.

Thanks again!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back