Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Snails and plants

W

wyatt

A year ago i spotted a snail in my guppy breeding tank. i did not put it in there and thought nothing of it at the time. soon, every tank i had was over run with snails. then it hit me. at the pet store, they sold the plants in a snail tank. the snails lay their eggs on the plants, hatching at your house. ever since, i soak my plants in hot water(not boiling) for about ten minute so everything is off. i just recently got rid of most of the snails. my advice is this, if you see even one snail in the plant tank, do what i did with the plants. it kills all snails on them. you do not want to be over ran by them. if you see them in your tanks, clean it out immediately.

colin

Reaction score
Quite a few of my tanks have snails in them and I dont mind them at all. In fact, i have knowingly spread them about to other tanks. They eat algae and left overs from the newts so do their part nicely...

They never get to be a problem unless conditions allow them to be.

I have several ramshorn species and wandering snails

W

wyatt

well, the lighting my guppy tank needed made them go wild. the big one are fun to watch, it's the small ones i don't like. it's amazing how fast those snails can move in water.

W

william

yeah i actively put snails into other tanks, i have wandering snails and a ramshorn species too

M

mark

I have a "Gold" snail. Hey, quik question. For those of you who have newts and snails in the same tank, do your snails ever eat all the food, leaving none for the newts?

colin

Reaction score
hmmm no, but i have seen them eat left overs
happy.gif

M

mark

hmm, weird, becuase I once but in half of a bloodworm cube, and my snail came over, and "sat" on top of all the bloodworms. 15 minutes late, they were all gone! The snail is in a fish tank for now, and still eating away.

B

benjamin

I had a great pond snail that grew a 6cm long shell. He was exiled from the tank due to the fact that there were four missing newts, and 5 new cm in length added on to it's shell. Though I do not blame the snail for newt murder, I do blame it for covering it up.

W

wyatt

one of my friends had a snail do it to a african clawed frog. the snails never grew, though.

B

benjamin

Different species grow at different rates. My giant, fast growing snail, that now lives in my garden pond is a great pond snail, a native UK snail, it probably entered the tank with elodea.

J

jesper

LOL, you put in a big snail with small newts and didn't realize that it was a problem until 4 newts were dead?
smile9.gif

B

benjamin

It came small, it wasn't big until the four newts were missing, as I said before I don't think the snail it self did any of the killing, just when there weren't any bodies left behind scavenging comes to question, in the wild this type of snail would eat mostly plants but also the occasional newt egg. This was an exeptionally large individual compared to the other snails in the aquarium, they were eating blanket weed and laying eggs that the newts liked to eat so it seemed they were more of a benefit than a problem. But now I'm going to remove every snail that grows over a certain size (probably 3cm at the shell), they seem impossible to erradicate completely.

J

jeff

My snails in my goldfish tank are the large snails sometimes labeled "mystry snails" in petshops. They don't lay eggs at all. However, the small little apple snails are kinda neat, but they explode in population in just days. I put one of these in with my newts and I think it has done a fair ammount of cleaning, but I always check the water line for eggs.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1