Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Building Custom tanks

H

hayden

Anybody here ever built a custom tank? I was thinking of making a long shallow 5-7 gallon tank...Any suggestions...

A

alan

Not that hard to do, but unless you've already got the glass, the cost of materials and time means it is rarely worth while.
A decent aquarium shop will get one custom made for you if you give them the dimensions you want.

M

mark

I have made numerous beutiful tanks. I use plexi-glass though. To put the peices together, you use something called "weld-on". It is sort of hard to find, but if you look around, you will probably find it. The weld-on will litterally fuse the plexi glass together. After you do that, I ussually put in some Aquarium selant, just becuase. The only problem with plexi is its tendancy to scratch, I am always finding myself telling people not to touch, or get anything near it, ha ha. But besides that plexi-glass tanks make for a very cheap, easy to make custum tank. I have never made a glass tank. Good luck!

H

hayden

Andrew, I can get the glass and sealant for free...My dad is friends with a glass guy and my dad has a bunch of silicone...If its not hard Ill take a shot at it...

J

john

You need the right sealant - many will leach dangerous chemicals into the water. You will need specific "aquarium" safe sealant.

colin

Reaction score
...and make sure it doesnt have bactericide or fungicide in it, IE silicone for kitchens/bathrooms wont do

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1