Styrofoam?

J

joseph

I have a really radical idea(that isn't on here yet). But would it be possible to use some kind of styrofoam to create structures? How would you go about cutting it accurately?

Thanks! If I can solve the first problem I'll post my idea and plans...though right now I'd like to think it sounds very far fetched.

What I'm trying to do would require very good control of shape and also the ability to "hollow" it out a bit.

I have used other insulation materials with brandnames like styrodur or roofmate before, to easily create lightweight structures. It can be brought into shape with almost any tool you'd like to use, including a heat gun. It can be painted or covered (with e.g. sand or gravel) to resemble rock.

Spray foam is often used to create terrarium backgrounds, it is then smeared with black silicon and covered with coco humus to provide a natural look. But I do not recommend using this type of foam in aquatic setups.
You could use plain old expanded polystyrene but make sure it is covered with silicon or something similar so none of the bits can come loose.
Alternatively you could go for Amphifoam, which is sold as a substrate, you can just simply pick at it and carve it with a knife.
If you do decide to go for a type of insulating foam just make sure you pick one that does not contain any harmful substances.

Thanks for the help! I think I will pick up a few big chunks at the hardware store if they sell it there. This is not for a background, but rather a small waterfall, rapids, and then a pool. Got it on paper now.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back