New Tiger Salamanders (Pics)

G

george

So the girlfriend and I decided to use my old 10-gallon terrarium that I used for two Emperor Scorpions (that sadly died not too long ago) and put some Tiger Sals in there. I have never cared for an amphibian before so I read up on a lot of information on them before purchasing them from a local pet store. I know all you guys out there are saying a 10-gallon tank is way two small to house two adult Tiger Sals, but it was the only tank we had (short on money) but we definately plan on upgrading sizes in time. Besides this pet store where I bought them from--they housed about 15-20 ADULT tiger sals in a 10-gallon FULLY AQUATIC aquarium that also had a HUGE Axotl (sp?). All the tiger sals were cuddled up on the only land provided which was a turtle landing dock. It was a sad site to see after reading up on them and knowing that they were a burrowing species. Anyways, I figure we did the two tiger sals we purchased a favor by throwing them in our tank with Bed-A-Beast soil for them to burrow in.

They seem to be doing fine, enjoying their new home.. we fed them wax worms last night.. and that was a blast! The guy at the pet store said he had only fed them newt pellets so I figured the wax worms would be a delightful treat for them. They were grabbing the wax worms in their mouths and shaking them violently like a Pit Bull would. Anyways, the pet store guy said he knew how to sex them (I told him I wanted a girl/male.. not for breeding purposes) and it looked like he did because he turned them over and looked at their coacas but who knows. I'm just hoping since all the tiger sals were cuddled up in that small tank in the petstore that these two won't bite/become territorial towards each other in their new tank (which they haven't so far). Here's two resized pictures.

21104.jpg

21105.jpg

Also, by these pictures can anyone tell me the exact subspecies these are? I'm assuming barred but the petstore owner didn't have a clue. The two might even be different.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back