Refrigerated cooler

J

jesse

ok so heres the deal i got this refrigerated cooler to keep my mudpuppy since it can get really hot her in california. So i was going to ask youre thoughts on this and youre opinions. I think that its a really good thing, and should be used for more and more caudates, since they usually prefer cooler temperatures.}}

How large is the cooler? I wouldn't recommend much smaller than 20 gallons, I keep mine in a 30 gallon tank downstairs with two rock hiding places, and she seems pretty happy.

the cooler has the dimensions of a twentygalon long roughly. just outof curiosity did you order youre mudpuppy from a biological supply company?

No, I caught mine with a minnow trap in March.

Your cooler should work, but despite my having a mudpuppy, there are lots of people here more qualified to give an answer too.

Just make sure there's at least two hiding places for her (mine prefers a large, flat rock that I have propped up on another rock), just make sure you don't bump the container and end up crushing it.

The bigger the tank, the better, though. They can get pretty big and I imagine it might be cramped, I even feel a bit sorry for mine in the 30 as it is, and I'm looking to buy a larger tank in the future.

mine i feel is a bit on the runty side since i accquired it from a biological supply company and it came sick

I'd still look into getting a larger tank with some other cooling mechanism, it's going to get bigger and more space is definately a plus for it. I don't even really like having mine in a 30, though it's adequate for her health.

actually i took youre advice and i got a newer bigger tank for her.

PICS Jesse (peter too!). You know better than to post enclosure updates without pics!

my mudpuppy is very shy, i think she is very image conscious (as most females i know tend to be)so i dont think she would like me tanking her pic, plus i think my camera sucks, ill take a pic with it and you guys lemme know how bad it is.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back