Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

FBT set up ideas needed

D

denise

Hi! I wonder if you could give me some ideas for a FBT set up. I have a 15 gallon tank and I'd like to get 3 or 4 FBT's. I do have a piece of glass I can use to divide the tank if that is the best way to set it up. What type of substrate is the best to use for the land side?

I will be using a Fluval 1 to filter the water side. I wanted to use one of those screen type covers for the tank but I can't figure what to do with the cord for the filter. It doesn't appear that they leave a hole for the cord in those screen covers.

J

jennifer

Denise, indeed you have to be creative to deal with a screen lid and electrical cord. We have one example on this page (4th/5th photos):
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/escape.shtml
There are various ways besides tape to cover the gap of the hole around the cord (soft black foam material, for example). Also, you need to leave plenty of extra cord length inside the tank so that you can raise the lid to open it.

Sorry, can't help you with FBT setup, as I've never had any.

jessica

Reaction score
Well I have some FBT's but I'm definitely not an expert. One of the better things I've seen on the internet is to have a large "land" area. Like glue a big piece of slate on other rocks (with aquarium sealant) above the water line. You could probably use some gravel to raise the height of the rocks, but gravel is kind of a pain. I want to do this myself but I've been quite busy lately. I've bought all the supplies from one of the better pet stores in my area.

I have gravel that slopes right now, one end is high and just above the water line and the other end is under the water with barely any covering the tank bottom. I have like 20 pounds of gravel in there right now, it is NOT easy to clean. I have a Fluval 2 Filter, which turned out to be a great filter although I had some issues with it for a week or so. I found out it was the crickets climbing in it and clogging it.

The toads like to have areas to hop off to and not swim and they like to have areas to swim in which is why they seem to enjoy this set up. I also have a small piece of bark that is curved in the dry area, sometimes they like to hide under it. They also like this plant I have for them it has big leaves, but I actually have no idea what it is.

The toads need to stay wet so you may want to observe them. The toads won't just hop in the water because they're dry, so you may need to spray them with conditioned water every day,sometimes a few times a day. My toads do swim often so I don't do it as much and I have hard water deposits building up on the tank.

Well hope this helps
happy.gif

(Message edited by foltsjr315 on May 12, 2004)

han

Reaction score
Bombina is highly aquatic so there's no need to create a large, hard to clean land-area. Some bricks/slate, submerged/half-submerged will do, 80% water, 20% land, a kind of hygienic set-up.
I created a jungle-like back-screen by using artificial "plants" hanging against the back-screen to provide sufficient hiding-spots and a central-placed feeding/baskingplatform: the toads appreciate an early-morning warming-up under a small spot-light.
As for substrate i use very porous gravel-like material to stimulate bacterial water-cleaning and there's a external canister-filter to keep the water in good condition.
Lots of simple floating plants, good ventilation,
heavy fluoriscent/PL lighting and proper food (earthworms) and the toads will grow old and reproduce(!) in good shape.

Han

jessica

Reaction score
Just to add my set up seems complicated because my filter is about 2 or so inches high so I have to add more water for it to run correctly which makes it tougher (for me) to build a land area. I also forgot to mention my florescent light that rests on the screen lid and that my tank is a 10 gallon.

Han your set up seems nice. Just a thought and please don't feel offended, but everything I've read said that FBT's don't need a heat lamp and that it could possibly harm them. Or am I reading too much into your spot light? If not is there contradicting info you have found that you could share? Thanks

(Message edited by foltsjr315 on May 14, 2004)

han

Reaction score
My toads have always liked an early-morning basking: once the (weak) spotlight is switched on, they all gather under it for about an hour. Within this hour, there's a colour-change: from dark- to bright-green. After a cool night the dark colour absorbs the warmth more easily.
I keep watertemp. 68-72F and airtemp. 72-75F
They (8) live in a 100 gallon tank with back-front-top- and sidescreen-ventilation, so every
toad can easily find the temp it prefers.

D

denise

Thanks so much for all the ideas. You all have been very helpful. Thank you Jennifer for addressing my question on the cord. Those pictures were extremely helpful.

I used silicone to place a piece of glass in my 15 gallon tank in order to have a land area and a water area. How long do I have to wait until I can test it to see if it works okay? Also, how do you get that silicone off your fingers?

I have more questions about FBT's but I will start a new thread.

Does anyone know how I go about getting e-mail notifications when I get a response to my questions. I didn't realize I had answers here.

(Message edited by Pugwinkle on May 14, 2004)

jessica

Reaction score
Han
My toads turn from dark to bright green too after some time in the light. Maybe the florescent light does give off some heat, but the bulb is for plants and aquariums. I bought one of those lights that people usually mount into their kitchen cupboards and then changed the bulb.
Thanks for the info.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1