Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Aquarium hood question

L

leanne

I am currently housing my adult male and female eastern newts in a 10-gallon aquarium which includes a submersible filter, small airstone, a piece of floating bark for them to climb onto, and 7/8 water other than that (complete with both live and fake water plants, as well as rocks, gravel, and hiding places). My question is: I am using a regular aquarium hood since I enjoy turning the light on occasionally, so that leaves their source for air being the back 2 inches of the hood, all the way across (with screening on top of it). Is this enough oxygen for them? Just want to make sure. Thanks for any advice!

E

elizabeth

<font color="ff6000">I'd prefer more so the air is fresher on top of the water. Even with the metal 10 gallon screened lids you buy at the store, you can use the light strip on them. I believe they go for about $9.00. Without adequate ventilation, you will have high humidity and may not be able to see in the glass. If you CAN see in clearly, it should be plenty of room. </font>

J

jennifer

Since the tank has an airstone, there is no doubt that there is plenty of air/oxygen available. A screen lid might improve ventilation of the air on top of the tank (which will lower the water temp slightly), but the setup you currently have is fine.

L

leanne

Beth and Jen,
Thanks for the help! I might go ahead and keep the setup the way it is until it gets warmer this season, then look for a screen and the $9 light, excellent.

I was worried that since the newts didn't breathe under water that the airstone wouldn't help them, so thanks for the reassurance on that!

I

i.

I keep my front flap open too with a screen, that way there's ventilation in the front and the back of the tank.

L

leanne

Maybe I ought to do that---rig something up with the front so the cat can't get in and the newts can't get out.....thanks!
lick.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1