Snails--Advice?

joe

Reaction score
Display Name
Joe Willmore
I've put snails in my aquatic tanks in the past as a means of contributing a bit to waste maintainence and just generally b/c it seemed a bit more of an ecological system. I've generally only put one snail in (so they don't breed). Either a Mystery snail or a Ramshorn. I've seen little or no mortality with my plants and no problems with my Newt or my tank of African Dwarf Frogs.

Does anyone else have other snail advice or insights (snails to avoid, those that might cause problems for newts, etc.)?

The snail question again, well I think it's worth a new discussion. See the old ones by the way.

The general opinion was that since they produce waste, and consume waste(ie dead plant parts) they don't make much difference - I did't quite agree I think snails are good additions to newt tanks as long as they pose no dangers to the newts. I have always used small snails because I think that they do more good than bad, however they always become lunch to my newts. Sooner or later I end up with no snails at all....
Now, I use those small snails that often come with plants. I was thinking about buying bigger snails, like you talk about, but I have heard a vicious rumour(LOL) that they can clamp down on the newts thus causing injury. To me, that sounds ridiculous so I would like to do a little survey and check out how many people have actually seen this happen.

Thanks!

Most snails are hermaphrodites that can fertilize their own eggs (whats the proper biological term?)...so just putting one snail in the tank might not prevent an infestation.

Small inverts like snails don't contribute much to the bioload of a tank. Most snails are not truly aquatic--they get air from the surface and keep it in their shell while they dive. Basically, as long as they can't injure your newt (even through ingestion) or your plants, they should be fine.

Small ramshorn snails are ideal because they have thin, brittle shells and primarily eat algae. Note that not ALL ramshorn snails are small...some get really big.

^iMp^

As for snails that injure newts... have you ever encountered a conch while snorkeling? They are incredibly aggressive--if you pick one up, it will jab at you with a pointy appendage on its foot.

I wouldn't doubt that SOME larger snails are strong enough to injure a newt if it accidentally gets caught.

^iMp^

My understanding is that snails can not fertilize their own eggs...they always must have a mate. Two snails can fertilize each other, and they can produce fertile eggs for quite some time after a meeting, making it look as if the snail has conceived on its own. Don't hold me to all of this, but I'm pretty sure this is what I have read while searching for info on snails.

As for adding to the bio load, it is true they may not add a lot, but most people like snails to clean up the extra junk in their tank...all they do is convert it from one form to another, so don't actually make the tank any cleaner.

Rob--that could be true (concerning snail reproduction). All I know (for certain) is that adding a single snail to your tank does not guarantee that you won't get baby snails.

^iMp^

I'm still wondering how many people have actually had a snail that has hurt a newt?
Not even one??

What is a conch? Sweden is pretty much too damn cold to be snorkeling much ;)
Ok, so your point is that there are very aggressive snails I take it - but if the newt is at least as big as the snail it should be able to fend for itself or?
Which big species of snails are pacifists then?
I would like a snail that my newts can't eat and that can't hurt my newts LOL. My newts eat all my snails
sad.gif
, I like snails.

I did read a post years ago on Kingsnake describing a newt injured by a snail. The snail was large, and it clamped down hard over the newts leg or foot. I don't remember the details. It wasn't "aggression" just accidental dismemberment.

What does clamp down hard mean really?

Falling on the newt or what? That shouldn't do any harm in water.

I don't know anything about snail physiology but I can only imagine a really big snail hurting a newt by biting(sucking?) or?

I think the snail in question was a large one. By "clamp down" I mean that the newts foot was under the shell when the snail pulled itself inward (pulled its shell down tight against the glass).

A conch is a large marine snail. Anyway, the point of mentioning it is that not all snails are peaceful and some larger snails are fairly strong. They can be very capable of defending themselves.

^iMp^

I had an apple snail in my tank, about 1 1/2 inch in diameter. It's small for an apple snail but it's big for a snail I guess. Anyways the first thing my pleuro did when I put it in the tank was bite it. The snail did retreat in its shell and the newt's head was inside the shell with it, shaking it around. But neither got hurt, eventually (few weeks) the pleuro got the better of the snail and ate it. Pleuros are pretty strong, maybe a smaller specie would have gotten hurt or a bigger snail could have caused damage. For sure gluttonry is a point though, you might not have your snail for a long time.

I tried putting a giant ramshorn snail in with my paramesotritons, and almost strait away its antenae were bitten off, then i kept seeing them walking around with their nose in its shell!

AJfr0ggy

Yeah that's pretty much what I figured, no snail goes safe when newts are around.....sigh

Hello,

I am new to this site, and it seems like a very informative and helpful site. I recently acquired 4 axolotls. Ranging from 1 1/2" to 2 1/2". I also raise apple snails. Apple snails have an operculum or door to their shell that they retract inside when they pull in their foot. The operculum is made of the same material as the shell and therfore
hard with sharp edges.
After settling the axolotls into their tank with a few apple snails, I left them alone for about 30 minutes, and when I returned, the largest axolotl (also my only leucistic) had its head inside one of the snails. This particular snail was around 3" in diameter. What probably happened was that when the axolotl investigated, the snail tried to close up into its shell.
Well I pulled the shell open enough to get the axolotl out and the operculum had cut its throat, of course killing my axolotl. If I had left it in the tank the snail probably would have eaten what it could and the other snails would have joined in. If you have a weak or injured fish, newt, etc. or something that simply cannot get away from a snail
it could very well be eaten.

Also, apple snails require a male and female to reproduce, but many if not most other species are hermaphroditic so require only one to reproduce.

Sorry this is so long,
Billy Miles

I don't know much about newts and snails but when I was younger my family had a tank with tropical freshwater fish. We just had a snail, but I don't know what kind it was. It had baby snails. I don't know if it reproduced asexually or was fertile before we got it but we had baby snails EVERYWHERE. There were snails in the tubing that led to the air stone and underneath the under gravel filter and in the gravel. I will never get another snail again. Anytime I pick up plants I make sure the store cleans off the baby snails first. But that's just my experience.

Also whenever we found a dead fish the snail was on it so I don't know if the snail went after it (although a fish swims it seems impossible you never know)or if the fish was dead first.

Feel free to add the information. Please also add, that while snails may be slow, they are still very interesting and amazing creatures to keep. Also, that while larger apple snails pose a danger to soft bodied creatures (and this only because of the previously mentioned self-preservation ability) their are many other species of snail that do not have a "door". Therefore being safe for any, but slow, sick, or injured creatures.

Thank you,
Billy Miles

Thanks for the info!
Great, so it is the "door" of apple snails that has produced this rumour of snails "clamping down" on newts and thus cutting off body parts!
Thanks for clearing up that mystery!

So can you recommend a big snail without a "door"?
As I said before I want a snail that pose no risc to a newt and are too big to be a newt meal.

There are many snails that do not have a door, but approximate size is usually only up to about 2 cm. Can a newt eat this, I don't know enough about them to be sure. Also, the best and sometimes the only way to get these snails is from a live plant purchase. Most pet stores do not clean their plants very well if at all. I would find a local aquarium fish and supply shop that seems knowledgeable and they can probably show you a few varieties. Keep in mind many snail species eat live plants so are not the best for planted aquariums. One benefit of apple snails is that they usually only eat live plants if they are underfed. They prefer dead plant or animal material.
Billy Miles

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back