Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Amphibian / Reptile Safe Paint

B

brian

I am interested in making tank ornaments used both in desert tanks but also in fully aquatic newt tanks and was wondering what type of paint is safe for amphibs even if it is fully submersed in an aquatic tank. any information would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

(Message approved by admin)

E

edward

Hi Brian,
It depends upon the substance being painted. In general water based polyurethane paints are safe once they are cured but are hard to get to adhere to certain surfaces. We have used them on fiberglass enclosures that were then either submerged or kept wet all of the time. I know in some of the other enclosures at work are simply painted and then sealed with the appropriate polyurethane but then these are not amphibian enclosures.
Some of the fiberglass resins are colored and can be painted and used in this manner but I have only heard about this second hand..
Have you contacted one of the paint companies tech support groups? They should be able to recommend the appropriate products.
Ed

A

alan

What kind of ornaments? Does it have to be paint? Would a PVA/fibre coating work, or even look better?
Mix waterproof (exterior grade) PVA glue with water about 50:50. Mix in fibrous material such as peat or composted bark until you have a paste you can work with. Use this to coat whatever it is you want to disguise. Now let it cure and harden completely (can take some time - often a week or more). Wash well and soak repeatedly. Finished object is completely water-tolerant and safe for use with amphibians. Paramestriton enjoying a rest on a PVA-coated polystrene island:

12734.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1