Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tiger enclosure question

L

leanne

Hello,
I opted for a clear plastic tub as a terrarium for Fatboy the tiger sally, since I don't have a lot of $. I use a BBQ grill for a top and have 4" of substrate, hiding places, and a little bowl of water for him to soak in. My question is: this is the largest tub that comes in clear (it is 2 ft. 7 in. long and 1 ft. 5 inches wide). BUT there is a tub that is one whole foot longer, although it doesn't come in clear---only blue or gray. Would my salamander appreciate the extra space minus being able to see outside the sides, or would he rather have light and vision coming through the sides but with 1 less foot of space? Thanks for any insight!
smile.gif

A

alan

The enclosure size you are using is acceptable (in my opinion) for a tiger salamander. However, I'm sure your salamander would appreciate more space and would not mind the loss of visibility at all - this is a burrowing species which will be happy as long as it has 4-6 inches of substrate to dig into.

However, the question is, how would not being able to see your salamander properly affect you? Personally, I can't see the point of keeping animals in opaque plastic boxes. I'm not denying some species can do well in these containers as long as an adequate, species-appropriate environment is provided, but it's too much like stamp collecting for my liking.
YMMV.

L

leanne

Well, I ended up solving the problem----I got another clear tub and connected the 2 by drilling a hole in each tub and putting a 5" pvc pipe in between so that he can go back and forth between "houses". Works pretty well, now he has a lot of space!

J

josh

Good Idea, Leanne, thats a pretty nifty house your sal has there :D

L

leanne

When I get a digital camera I am going to take a photo of it, it is HUGE (Fatboy could stand the exercise)!
proud.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!