Strange shaped tank

M

mark

hey yall. i brought this strange shaped tank for some cynops orientalis. it used to be a daphnia dispensing tank and so it has a tap thingy at the bottom. i've fed an airline up the tap so that the air gets trapped in the log then comes out of all the holes that are around it. the only thing is it has suddenly gone slightly green and the ph has shot up i'm gunna have to get some pH stabilizer. but any way what does everyone think.???
26601.jpg

Thats awesome...How many gallons approximately...And do you have a cover?

a lid will be necessary-they can climb-the pH going up is related to the growth of the plants (algae too), they will make tanks more acidic just by growing there-but if you dont have good enough lighting then the plants will be decaying and also making it acidic(not sure which process makes more acid)-ive never used it but chunks of limestone are used by some to offset low pH. -is that a power line going in the back of the tank?-tim has plenty of photos of cynops climbing air tubes and power cords - you may want to adjust the set up to prevent escapes.

yeah i do have a cover but i took it off when i was feeding them and thought hmm i'll take a photo. but yeah i have a lid. thanks for the comments

Looks interesting. It's hard to tell how large it is from the photo, do you have the dimensions? I would re-iterate what Hayden and Paris said: you need a TIGHT fitting lid, with all cracks sealed. See:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/escape.shtml

I'm wondering about the tap thingy. How did you run an airline tube through the tap without it leaking? And during a power failure, could that airline tube turn into a siphon that gets water into your pump and/or empties the tank?

i didn't really go into detail i have a lid that i really have to squeeze on. it has a sort of sponge layer round it that just contours over the cables. it's tight! it just has loads of holes to allow air through. also i have a check valve that stops the water from getting to the pump. and i just sealed the gap that was only a couple of mm with some special goldfish sealant.

Dimensions: the base square is 20cm x 20 cm and the top square is 30cm x 30cm. hope this helps

mark

i forgot to say that the plants on the right are i think something like amazon swords and i have no clue what the other one is soz.
mark

Thats awesome, Amazon sword always die for me, ha ha. Good luck!

my five gallon aquarium's top is secure because almost every one of the plastic rims on the top are melted from past lights that got a little too close to the aquarium =)

<font size="+1"><font color="ff0000">This thread has been moved here from the Fire-Bellied Newts section.</font></font>

the one on the lft looks like a Hygrophila... stricta maybe???

Yes. it seems like Hygrophila stricta. Must be it. I have one in my aquarium tropical fish tank

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back