Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My set up

N

nic

Just thought I would share some pics of my ambystoma maculatum set up just to see what you thought. The black box
on the upper right is a thermoelectric cooler for when it's hot
in the summer (keeps it ten to fifteen degrees below ambient
room temp).
thanks for any comments/suggestions
Nic

29334.jpg

29335.jpg

29336.jpg

29337.jpg

(Message edited by mike_g on January 17, 2005)

D

danny

Great tank setup! but what really catches my eye is your thermoelectric cooler! where did you get that from? Ive been trying to cool my tanks and that looks like a great idea! any info you could give would be greatly appreciated!!

J

jarid

I agree. The cooler is awesome. Great looking setup too! Where did you get that cooler?!

N

nic

I got the cooler on the web at www.supercool.se. I do have to warn you though, they are a bit expensive, unless you can get
a unit out of a sports cooler, they're a little cheaper that way but
you'll have to probably do a bit of rigging. Thank's for you're compliments.

Y

yago

Hi Nick
That cooling system is interesting. Could you give as more info on it. I have check the webpage but I couldn't find any price reference. How much does it cost one like yours for terraria?
Best greetings
Yago

M

mark

Nice, love the set-up! What kind of, or where did you get that cool looking rick that sticks up vertically?

N

nic

The rocks I bought at a trade show in Southern Cal (Anaheim)
but I don't remember the name of the Vender (sorry Mark).
The thermolelectric cooler ran about $130 for the unit itself. They also sold me an adapter for the unit which was around $25. Then I bought a refrideration thermostat (the kind that has a copper wire with a temp probe at the end) and spliced the power cord of the cooling device and then connected it to the thermostat (just like you would a power switch). The technician at the websight can give details and was really helpful to me. Ask him all he can tell you about hooking it up properly (If I put the wrong side in the tank, it would fry them) but don't worry, after he explains it, it's really simple. As for the thermostat, a refridgeration repair/supply store should be able to help you out with that. The thermostat unit I bought I think was between 50 and 70 dollars so like I said, it can get expensive. To insulate, I also bought styrophome boards and covered the sides, bottom, and back of the tank, then got a 1/4 inch plexi sheet to cover the front of the tank leaving airspace between it and the front glass, and put sliding plexi on the top with airspace. Evidently my sals love the temps because they have been growing like crazy. From under two inches to almost five since around June last year.
Nic

D

danny

I wish it was a taricha nic, its just a C.o
happy.gif
maybe this spring I will be able to have a taricha!!!

N

nic

WOW! That is one FAT C.o, I must have been wearing
shades that day too.

C

carl

very very very very very good tank could go on for ever lol nice tank

W

william

Nice tank Nic!
happy.gif
How many ambystoma maculatum do you have in there?

Good idea Danny how well does it work?

D

danny

The ice pack only last about 2 hours, so I have a set of four that I switch out through out the day. Overall it keeps the temp in the tank at 21C I live in an apartment so its always really warm.

A

abrahm

That is an excellent setup for your sals! Very impressive.

I just had a question about your thermoelectric cooler. What temperature does your top heat sink get too? I've been looking into these devices and while I've found one that looks suitable, the top heatsink reaches 156F (69C) and I don't know if that would be safe to have lying around.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1