UUGH! need tank ideas

W

wyatt

My NVV are not able to find the bloodworm cubes thrown into the tank because of the gravel. they can't see their food, so i decided i am making their tank a woodland ecosystem with less water. instead of making it all water, i would like to put plexiglass in the middle for half and half, or i would like to make it woodland with a large pool in it. which would be better? the aquatic setup just is not workin for me. this will be occupied ny the NVV for a few months, and then i will move them out and add frogs(preferably leopard frogs or spring peepers) and other woodland animals.

I'm going to tell you before anyone else on this site...don't mix animals. There are several articles on this site about the horrors of doing this. Now as far as your new tank, it sounds like a good idea. However, if you just want to get your newts to eat...take a corner of your tank and move the gravel leaving just the tank showing. Make sure that you turn off whatever pump circulating your water (if any at all) so the bloodworm cubes will far just in this area. Your newts will smell the cubes as they far into the water and since there's no gravel and just clear tank area they will eat with ease. This is also good because it helps localize the area where the cubes go and clean-up time. Try this before making your new set-up and see if it works for you. I'm doing this with (4) Paramesotritons and it works out perfectly. Just make sure that you make a wide are so they don't fight over the food. Good luck.

Corey, Just a note..

Wyatt didnt say he was going to mix them...

'this will be occupied ny the NVV for a few months, and then i will move them out and add frogs'

Wyatt,

I like both ideas, how about trying both ways and see which way works for you the best?

A fully-aquatic setup is the most appropriate for adult Notophthalmus. Moving them to a terrestrial setup simply because they can't find their food in the gravel makes absolutely no sense! How is a half-land tank or a woodland tank going to make it easier for them to find their food?

Either get rid of the gravel completely, restrict the gravel to one half of the tank (using large rocks or bricks), or use some kind of submerged feeding dish. These ideas were already discussed with you recently. Did you try any of them?
http://www.caudata.org/forum/messages/7618/35539.html

A woodland setup simply is not appropriate for adult Nvv. A half-half tank could work OK, but then you'll have an even worse feeding problem if the newts decide to live on land. I would also add that half-half tanks with a divider have a variety of engineering problems to watch out for; it's a lot of trouble for a species that doesn't need it.

(Message edited by jennewt on May 17, 2005)

ok,

i have figured something out. i have been trying the food dish stuff and have a question. if i put plexiglass in a corner of the tank to make a dish would it work? the glass would be short. i am going to change my setup regardless because my current one has way too many flaws. i am keeping 5 NVV in a 20 gallon. what will be the best filter for my setup? i am going to keep it totally bare bottom with a small land area, plants and hiding places with a dish of some sort. sorry if i contradict myself. i have a tendancy to do that.=(

Wyatt,

If you keep your tank bare, then you won't need a food dish. (See Joeri's comment in above noted post.)

For filter system, you might want to try a Cascade 200 internal, or Whisper 20i. I have good luck with both.

Also regarding bloodworms. Thaw them, and rinse them, in a fine mesh strainer. This will reduce the oil, and ickies, that will go into the tank. Drop the bloodworms using a long spoon, or tweezers, onto the tank floor (or food dish). This should eliminate the problems that you are having.

And follow Jen's advice.

okay,

thanks everyone for the ideas. today i plan to strip the tank bare, clean it out totally. when i am done i plan to have a completely bare aquarium. then i will add anarchis, but only in small amounts. i know i would not need to have a food dish, but to sorta just train them to eat in one spot, i will have a semifood dish. i think i will make a short barrier in the aquarium corner to hold the foos in. the red stuff the frozen bloodworm cubes come in i always through in their. i thought if they smelled it, it would start a feeding. also how many bloodworm cubes does it take to feed 5 NVV. the cubes are a cm an 1/2 square. i feed them three right now, and i feed my co a half of one. how much should i?

How's it going with your Nvv? I have 5 of them myself (all adults), 2 prefer living on land and 3 are happy to swim around in the water.
I still have a very simple setup, no sand/gravel, lots of water plants and I posted a picture of my land part in the north american salamanders area.

As for feeding.. with mine it's more of a "if they see it wriggle they eat it". Both on land and in the water.

I'd say 1 cube per 2-3 days. I feed them live food myself, including earth worms. They seem to have no trouble finding it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back