Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My Hynobius & Ambystoma recepy

H

henk

Herewith I'll show how I make a good meal out of my Hynobius / Ambystoma hanbbook. No enough kidding ... this is just meant to shiow how I setup my Hynobius setups (which also works perfectly for my longtoeds Ambystoma macrodactylum.

Here are the ingredients. The moss comes from between my lawn and lasts about 2 months
22622.jpg

Now I first put in the gravel and some of the broken stones
22623.jpg

On top of this I will now put the moss. The idea is that later when the water comes in the moss will suck up the water and through it's capilar function make the setup wed till above. It continues to live for quite a while. so now put some moss on top of these stones
22624.jpg

Well you also see my son following what I do in the background
Then time to install a 2nd layer of those stones
22625.jpg

And since my daughter also want to become a model I had to promise here I would also put her in the forum ..
22626.jpg

After that time to set up another layer of moss
22627.jpg

On top of that Island you can now install ferns or other plants and include some cm. of water. The animals can hide in the holes of the stones
22628.jpg

M

mark

Great series of photos Henk, thanks for sharing your information, its hard to find pics if Hynobius set-ups.

Wooohooo! 300 posts

(Message edited by Mark_uk on September 10, 2004)

A

anthony

hi henk what size tank is that is a nice set up.
thanks tony.

H

henk

Well the tank is about 60 by 30 cm (and 30 high). Good enough for 4 to 6 Hynobius, altough with many stones in it I would even dare to go (much) higher for storing (not for breeding)

H

henk

Well they need plants in the waterpart offcourse, but yes they did actually. However installing them in a large tank with more water and after setting the (tiny) waterfall in action I got more eggs this year... (but didn't have time to raise all of them : final result 22 juveniles).

I have texanums, but only 4 males....

H

henk

Well I have indeed read studies that refer to maculatum being the first species to disappear when the habitat is disturbed.
I think laterale , texanum and talpoideum would be interesting species to try and breed in captive conditions. I have succeeded breeding the longtoeds for 7 years on a row now and I think this mioght work as well for some of the other mole salamanders. I give them a very cold overwintering and in the spring time I spray alot around to simulate rain... but maybe there might be other stimuli involved...

M

matthijs

Nice set up. But how do you feed in such a terrarium. I feed my Hynobius dunni mainly crickets, but I think those would drown in sec in such a set up.

Matthijs

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1