Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

20 gal Tank

P

pamela

Hello! Here is a pic of my 20g tank which is home to 5 Chinese Fire Belly newts. Sam and Ella are the proud parents of 11 new larvae, and 4 eggs. The other buddies are Botchu, Liz, and Em, in addition to Gary 1, Gary 2, Gary 3, (ramshorn snails). As you can tell, I do not have any idea how to photograph an aquarium (actually my husband took it). If you look hard enough, you might just find two of the little guys.
21150.jpg
}

P

pin-pin

Hello Pamela,

That is a wonderful set-up and sounds like those Cynops enjoy their home if they are breeding for you. I am curious how you designed those bark (the lighter brown ones).

P

pamela

Thanks Pin-pin! The bark is actually faux driftwood. I purchased them at Petsmart at a bargain. Also, have added more plants. I picked some out of the forest on my property. The elodea has expanded greatly. I will have to trim it down again. Anyway, took new pics of my tanks. Will post them soon. Thanks again.

M

mark

I went to petsmart and saw that branch thing there, and it was freakin 23 bucks! I got a smaller on for 12, but "I hate it so I am going to return it, have a nice day!

P

pamela

Mark, I don't pay full price. I wait until they are on sale (either 'cause they are discontinued, or slightly damaged.) I paid around 7 bucks for this one. I have also gotten some other really nice ones that were originally priced around 25+ bucks, for only $2 and $4 bucks! Just gotta be patient.

M

mark

Dang, thats awesome! I ended up returning my ornament, and guess what! I finally have a setup I like! I has just like rocks piled up along the back with them breaking the surface, and a water fall. I am in love, except the water is all cloudy, Im pissed. And yes I boiled the rocks, I guess I just gotta be.. patient, ha ha.

P

pamela

Hi Mark! Your tank sounds really pretty. I would like to do something like that. The water will remain cloudy for awhile until it cycles (ammonia, to nitrite, to nitrate, etc.) Patience is the key. Good luck!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1