Triturus alpestris apuanus morphs

A

alan

For Jenn!

21010.jpg

Taken a while ago now. I'm trying to encourage them to be aquatic by only providing a small, damp (mossy) land area. 7/9 morphed a while back and were initially 100% terrestrial, but are now ~50% aquatic. The other 2/9 are still aquatic with full gills, and of course ~1cm longer than the others. Now that I'm able to feed mainly in the water and shovel in the earthworms, I expect the size difference to even out again in the next few months.

Hi Alan,
The 10 larvae that I acquired from you at the Caudata.org UK Meeting on May 15th have all morphed and are completely aquatic. I didn't give them much choice though, just a small piece of floating cork bark, that they soon ignored.

Hey
I have juveniles T.a. alpestris, they morphed a week ago. Usually they spend a year on the land, but can i put them completely aquatic now?
Because that's a lot easier way to keep them.
Gr. Leo

Give it a try Leo.

I suggest that you set-up your tank with 5 centimetres of water, with lots of floating aquatic plants for your newts to rest on.

They will then remain 'wet' and should revert to their aquatic ways.

Ok Thanx!
I'll try that!
I'm still very carefull because i've lost a juvenile ones this way... it drowned, at least that's what i think, because when i got back it had died.
Gr. Leo

I think temperature may also play a role. Mine seem to be spending more time in the water now that it's cooled off a bit here, although they like to go in and out quite frequently. They may also have figured out that there's often food in the water (Daphnia, and chopped earthworms, though these don't usually last long).

my 1 of last years babies is not aquatic, I accidentally forced it to become aquatic (outdoor viv flooded while i was away)

AJfr0ggy

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back