Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

C.pyrrhogaster exhibit

TJ

Reaction score
20052.jpg

Taken at the Saitama Aquarium near Tokyo.

N

nate

Is that a Pothos growing in the water? I had no idea they could live like that.

TJ

Reaction score
Sorry, I don't know a thing about plants myself. Maybe this'll help though: here's a pic of the same tank from the maintenance side:

20089.jpg

20090.jpg

TJ

Reaction score
Lolo, this should give you an idea as to the size
wink.gif

20100.jpg

L

lolo

My god it's so deep!!!
I have to do something with my 15cm water???
blush.gif
biggrin.gif

TJ

Reaction score
Indeed, it's rare to find such a deep tank when it comes to C.p exhibits. The keeper explained that he wanted to show the beauty of the vent of this species as the newts repeatedly swim up for air. The deepest I keep mine is 35cm.

(Message edited by TJ on August 05, 2004)

A

alan

"Pothos" (Scindapsus) grows well like this, and in almost any other damp-ish conditions from 15-34oC. As long as it can get most leaves out of the water, it grows well trailing aquatically, but will not survive if fully submerged.
Given half-way decent lighting it grows like mad and is a great nutrient sink, but needs trimming frequently.

E

edward

The Cynops cyanureus tank at work is not that deep (about 25 cm but I would have preferred to make it deeper for much the same reason). Here is a pic of the cyanureus tank. (And yes it is a multispecies tank and has been for more than a decade with the same amphibian residents).

Ed

20152.jpg

J

joseph

What kind of fish are in with the cyanurus? looks like some kind of killifish but its hard to tell in that pic.

E

edward

They are a killifish. (Panchax (and yes they do eat newt and toad eggs).)

Ed

J

josh

Hey Ed, Did you do anything special to get the moss to grow on the driftwood?(Just my memory, I know you said something about the moss at IAD)

E

edward

The moss started in some of the peat moss that was used to pot the prayer plant (the fern came out of the same peat moss). I encouraged it to grow across the log and when it got thick enough added the antherium as a cutting. I just added a pepperomia cutting and an impatient cutting to add a little more height to the planting. The moss grows down into the water and has to be trimmed on a regular basis.

Ed

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1