Tiger Salamander (Ambystoma tigrinum) setup

mike

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Mike East
Well, I guess it's down to me then to kick things off. Here's my Tiger Salamander (Ambystoma tigrinum) setup.
7636.jpg

My tiger salamander is housed as a solitary individual in a 50x45cm (20x18") aquarium. All the outside surfaces of this tank except the front are painted black (you can choose any dark colour you like or cover with paper or fancy printed backgrounds). I would regard the usual recommendation to keep this species in a 10 gallon (50x25cm / 20x10") tank as somewhat cramped. Although inactive for long periods of time, at other times they become restless (usually at night) and need space to roam around.
The tank has a 10cm / 4" deep layer of composted bark substrate (note: not bark chips, this is composted bark soil improver, a recycled soil-like product available from garden centres) into which it usually digs an underground chamber. A 15cm / 6" clay plant pot containing living ivy is buried in one corner and a 23cm/9" length of black rain gutter is also present as a shelter, together with several patches of live moss. Lighting is from a single fluorescent tube for 12 hours a day. There is an 8x3cm (8x1.5") deep water dish which is changed several times a week if not used, or daily if used, and the tank is lightly sprayed with rainwater (especially the plants and moss) 2-3 times a week but without making the substrate too wet. The entire substrate is replaced once a month and all the furnishings washed. Temperatures throughout the year range from 18-24°C (65-75°F).

Re: Tiger Salamander (Ambystoma tigrinum) setup

here's my 12 year old male's terrarium
i think he might be a A.mavortium??

these pics are old so i'll post some new ones soon.
4126555668a9282945447l.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back