Anubias temps

E

erik

How cold can Anubias take it? Most of the tropical fish websites list temperature ranges that seem pretty conservative. My salamander room gets down to 5-10C in the winter and I am looking for some low light plants besides java moss,willow moss and java fern varieties.

Yeah Elodea does good in my better lit tanks, I forgot to mention that one. In my main room I keep lighting to a minimum so it stays cold in there in winter. Fluorescent lights run cool, but a large number of them can really warm up a room.

Pothos doesn't seems to like the temps in winter and I don't like the look of it in water really. I do use it in some slightly warmer terrestrial enclosures (Tylototriton, etc...).

i see I see..
Flipping around the catalog of Tropica. I found these plants that do well even around 10-15 C and require low or even very low light.
Jave moss do well only higher than 15 so I guess all plant 10 - 15C will be something you look for. Here they are...

Aponogeton madagascariensis
Bacopa Caroliniana
Ceratophyllum demersum
Cladophora aegagropila (algae)
Echinodorus Ozelot
Eleocharis parvula
Hydrocotyle leucocephala
Ludwigia repens Rubin
Monosolenium Tenerum
Riccia sp.
Shinneria rivularis
Vallisneria spiralis Tiger
Vesicularia dubyana (Java Moss)
Zosterella dubia

- Java Fern actually require 18C + to do well. The above plants need at most 15C

For details of the plants, you may refer to www.tropica.com

To answer your question about Anubias sp.
All Anubias sp. listed under Tropica cataloge are suggested to do well in temp range of 20 - 30C

Thanks Ian. I guess Anubias is out of the question.

I guess I'm lucky with java fern and "java moss" with my low temps. The java ferns (4 cultivars) don't grow at all in the winter, but they don't die either. Growth resumes when the temps reach moderate levels. Maybe my moss isn't true java moss since I still get growth in winter.

I tried Ludwigia and it did well under 2 fluorescent tubes, but not so well under 1 bulb.

Does Riccia grow ok without Co2?

I guess I'll give Vallisneria and Cladophora a try at some point too.

In my experience moss balls do well in lowlight cold conditions as long as the temperature changes are gradual.

Here's a picture of one somewhere on the web:
http://sacredartichoke.com/images/mossball.jpg

PS. Moss balls are really algae colonies, only that this type of algea doesn't spread.

(Message edited by ester on November 27, 2005)

Vallisneria do well in my newt tank as well. Actually, my CO sometime laid eggs on it.

I hope you can help the best plants for yourself.

Erik,

I actually have been keeping Anubias for a while in an aqua-terrarium. In the winter months, temperatures unfortunately sometimes dip as low in my tank as 58 degrees Fahrenheit or 14 degrees Centigrade.

The Anubias do quite well and while I am certainly not saying that they should be kept at this temperature, if you have already purchased one, plant it and see what happens.

Marcus

i bought one a few weeks ago for my triturus marmoratus tank, apparently they die very very slowly if it is too cold, and don't grow at all around 15C and grow faster the further above 15C you are, my tank averages between 15 in winter and 20 in summer so we shall see, i don't expect miracles, but i hope it doesn't die on me, it's a lovely plant.

I've kept them and IME they are found down to at least 60F...but they grow slower. When I put it into a tank heated to 78 degrees it picked up the pace quite a bit.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back