Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What kind of moss?

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I was wonder if anybody has tried the moss that you buy at art stores in a terrestrial setup and if they had did it kill the salamander or if it worked good.

K

kyle

I have not specifically tried it, but I'm also not positive what type of moss you are talking about.

Many people avoid the use of peat moss because it has a very low pH, and the acidic nature has the potential to harm amphibians.

If you are using something like "sheet" moss, you are probably more than safe, as its just a normal plant (that is already on its way out, so it will eventually turn brown and need to be replaced. Before that happens, its best to replace it.

Another kind of moss you can use is Java moss if its available to you. Its what I would call a semi-aquatic plant, being able to grow completely submerged in an aquaria setting, but also can grow up out of the water as long as it is kept very wet. So depending on the type of salamanders you are going to use it for, this can be the best type of moss to use.

J

jennifer

I have used that type of moss, bought from Walmart. I soak it in several changes of water before using. The main problem with it is that it tends to contain a lot of general debris, some of which can decay during the soaking. The dry moss you get from pet shops is cleaner.

M

mark

hey, i've found that some of the best moss is the kind you gather outside, its usually greener, and last longer, not to mentioin cheaper. It still needs to be replaced but not so often, and don't use if your worried about small bugs getting into your room. Other than that it is great.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1