Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Pothos

D

dawn

From the pictures and descriptions on this site I'm pretty sure I have a pothos plant growing in my office. I would really like to add a little to my c.o.'s tank as i think it's a really awsome plant. I just have a couple of questions though....

1. How much light does it need? At the moment I have a desk lamp shining through the tank side during the day which is sufficient to keep some java fern alive. Is this sufficient for pothos or will it be too dark?

2. How to I take a cutting? I dont have particularly green fingers but I know that with some plants its really important where you cut them. Can someone give me a rough guide as to how I take a cutting?

Thanks

W

william

they don't need much light, your set up sounds fine. as for cuttings, you just need to break off a shoot and stick it in a substrate, it should grow from there.

J

john

I've had a cutting growing in a Desmog tank for months in my basement with practically no light at all. I cycle the overhead light for about 8 hours every other day (give or take). The cover is styrofoam so the only light it gets is equivalent to dark twilight, intensity wise. It's only put out 1 new leaf in that time so the only thing that seems to happen to this plant in low light conditions is a dramatic decrease in growth rate.

J

joan

I like to call Pothos the amazing indestructable plant. I grow mine in water, on land, under water, with light, without light, anywhere!

You can cut it anywhere as long as there's a joint (where the leaf meets the vine) and it'll send out roots. If you give it lots of light and water, it'll grow like a weed and you'll be cutting it back in no time.

D

dawn

Thanks guys, it sounds perfect cos I dont want it to grow too fiercly so the light level should be good. I'll take a cutting on monday when im back at work.

Cheers!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1