Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How do i get algee 2 grow in my tank

A

ammar

<u><font face="courier new,courier"><font size="+1">I have a 10 gallon tank it has some blue gravel in the botem and some small rounded rocks over the gravel and about 6 incehes of water and i have a light but sofare the only plants i get in my tank r plastic ones i know some people hate algee in thir tanks but it looks really cool and newts love it anyway any help would be great!!!</font></font></u>

J

jennifer

How long has it been set up? The algae will come, that's for sure, it's just a matter of time. If you put in a real plant, it will probably bring with it some algae contaminants that might get it started sooner.

A

ammar

<u>its been setup for about 2 weeks but like every day i keep changing it so i dont have 2 get sand cuz ive heard of puting sand under the gravel and where do u buy live plants</u>

J

jennifer

I really can't figure out what you are saying. WHAT do you change every day? What kind of sand do you mean? If you want people to take the time to write you meaninful answers, please use full sentences and make yourself as clear as possible.

Live aquarium plants are sold in pet shops.

D

david

I'd leave out the live plants. They take nutrients away from the algae. It might be a good idea to leave a couple of 5 gallon buckets outside in the sun (the same thing people do to get to create food for daphnia). Within a week or two you should be able to dump them in your tanks and have a good start. You'll need a long light cycle in your tank.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1