Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Flourish brand fertilizer

L

lenora

Is it possible to use liquid aquarium plant fertilizer in a newt tank? The brand I use for my fish is called "flourish." Excuse me if this has been asked before.

J

joan

You shouldn't if you don't need to. If you have a good balance of newt-to-plant ratio, you don't need it.

L

lenora

I have four eastern spotted newts (Nvv)in a 29 gallon tank. The only plants I have are 2 floating strands of hornwort, each about one foot long. The rest of the tank is filled out with some artificial ivy vine, a turtle dock and a fake hiding log. I was looking to replace the fake ivy with real plants. I'm thinking now that my four little newts aren't going to be able to fertilize that many plants.

E

ester

If you keep the newts well fed they produce quite a bit of dung
happy.gif
Other than that, light is what plants need more than fertilizer.

J

joseph

The only reason you would need flourish is if you are putting a lot of light over the tank or if your tap water is missing an important nutrient(unlikely). In a newt tank I would skip it as chances are your lighting isn't high enough to require it.

J

jennifer

Hornwort tends to die over time, and it's not because of lack of nutrients. Fertilizer would only make thing worse, as dieing plants release their nutrients into the water. An established tank usually has plenty of nutrients.

M

meghan

I was adding plant fertilizer thinking the plants needed it ... I couldn't figure out why the tank kept blooming with mass amounts of brown algae. I haven't added anymore and the algae has since settled down. Plants even seem to be healthier.

W

william

water plants also like low nutrient levels, so fertilisers are a waste of money

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1