Beginner to terrestial plants

G

george

Hi, I'm new here.

I need some help on plants that I can put into my semi-aquatic newt tank that I will be setting up in a few weeks. I have experience with tropical aquatic plants in the aquarium hobby, but I'm not sure about terrestial plants.

Do certain terrestial plants require a certain wattage? Do Watts Per Gallon also apply? If so, would 1.5 WPG be sufficient to grow a few plants? Do all terrestial plants require a high wattage, or does that depend on the specefic plant?

Say I go to petco and just pick out a few plants from the lizard section and put them into my tank with 15 watt bulb over a 10 gallon, will they thrive? Or are there hardier and easier plants that I should get for a my 1.5 wpg?

Thanks.

I'm not sure what your Petco has. Most of the plants at my Petco are for relatively dry setups, although they had one tray of really sickly plants for wet setups. There are a couple of things to consider. What kind of soil will you have, and how deep? Will the plants grow partially in water? You might do better at a good garden store, or taking cuttings from somebody's houseplants. Here are some of mine:
http://www.caudata.org/people/JM/plants.html

I'm probably not going to use any soil, because it will be too messy and I'm not experienced at all in this. What would be some small plants (I'm setting up a 10 gallon) that don't need much light or soil? Thanks

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back