Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sun Pitchers and treefrogs

C

clarence

I realize this could also go under >other amphibia>frogs, so pardon me in advance if it needs to be moved.

One variety of pitcher plants, the Sun Pitcher, or Heliamphora, happily exists in a symbiotic relationship with a number of treefrog species. Frogs will climb into the plant's pitcher, eat the bugs that are lured to it, and then defecate in the plant. The feces is then broken down and absorbed by the plant, which have no digestive enzymes of their own.

Does anyone here have any experience coupling these plants with any particular treefrog species?

E

edward

The symbiotic relationship with between the treefrogs and the Heliamphora has not been proven. The frogs do take shelter with in the pitchers on occasion but I do not believe that it is symbiotic.

That said if you want to try any of the small hylids they may do okay.

Ed

C

clarence

sorry, I meant to say "It is believed that..."

important phrasing lost while editing.

(this is why I don't work data-entry)

M

matthew

When is symbiosis proven?
Is it an all-or-nothing thing or a matter of degree?
Which conditions are necessary or sufficient for symbiosis to be said to be present?

Best//Curious of UK

K

kaysie

I think symbiosis is when both benefit from each other throughout life, or cannot live without the other (think lichens or leaf-cutter ants). This isnt an 'exact' or textbook definition, so dont quote me. But if the frogs only take advantage of the plants part of the time, its beneficial, but not necessarily symbiotic.

P

peter

I believe the term is "mutualism," if I can remember correctly.

A

alan

Matt,
Symbiosis implies the organisms involved have no choice (other than death!), otherwise it's mutualism.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!