Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Brine shrimp hatchery

andrew

Reaction score
so i read the microfoods article by jen macke which was very helpful, but i had a question about the custom built brine shrimp hatchery.. now when the air tube is put into the bottom of the bottle, is it better to use an airstone on the end of the tube, or just leave it bare for the straight, larger bubbles to come out?
Thanks,
Andrew

J

jennifer

The "word on the streets" is that artemia and daphnia do not like tiny bubbles because the bubbles get caught under their shells. I have no idea if this is true or not. I have used course airstones in daphnia cultures, no problem, and I suspect they would be OK for artemia as well. Whatever you use, keep in mind that you want just a small steady stream of bubbles, not a rolling boil.

An easier way to secure the tubing to the bottom of the bottle is to use a piece of rigid tubing, which you can buy in aquarium shops.

andrew

Reaction score
ok thanks! Yeah, i think I'll just scrap the airstone and give them a slow steady stream of bubbles.
Thanks for the help
Andrew

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1