What I was able to find in the pond today

J

jeff

Today I went out searching for daphnia, I did find quite a few. Is 200-250 enough for starting a colony? Also I found over a thousand mayfly larvae. What can I feed them? I am feeding the daphnia a puree of peas and some bloodworms right now, im going to get some yeast and algea real soon as well. However, I have no idea how to feed all the mayfly larvea. Also, is there any threat to having some of the original water from the pond in the container when I swirt the larvae into the fish or newt tanks? The ponds are fishless. I really need to know what the larvae will feed on!

Be VERY careful using pea puree or bloodworms. If you add a little too much, it's really easy to kill off everything.

Why do you want to keep the mayfly larvae? I don't think a bit of pond water will hurt, but it's easy enough to separate the daphnia from the water if you have a brine shrimp net.

Mayfly larvae usually eat decaying plant matter but I think it all depends on species. If it was me I would feed them off as quickly as possible...I don't think it is too practical to try to culture them in captivity. Keep whatever container you are storing them in cool and well oxygenated.

(Message edited by fishkeeper on November 16, 2005)

I am planning on useing them for my soon to arrive axi hatchlings, allthough I have the daphnia seperated, thats not too much of them and there are thousands of very tiny mayfly larvae, which are bigger then the daphnia. I well get more daphnia as soon as I can, but today is day number one working on axlotol food sources.

i bought a salamander as a pet a few days ago, it seems quite energetic, except it wont eat, i tried feeding it flakes, and dried shrimp. but nothing is working. its dark brown with orange spots on its belly and tail. i really dont want it to die, but im sure it will, if it stays this way. it lives in a fish bowl ( good sized one) and a little water with a few rocks for it to relax on. so why on earth wont it eat? i cant possibly buy worms or living preys such as bloody worms,beateles!! they dont sell them anywhere!

You should ask at the pet store where you bought it what they were feeding him, and start from there. Can you post a picture of it?
If you don't want to feed it live food, they sell food specifically for newts ("Newt Bites") that he might eventually eat if he gets hungry enough.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back