Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Production outweighs consumption

B

benjamin

Well I put some adult daphnia in with my oldest newtlets. They have started to reproduce and half already multiplied so much that the newtlets don't even need to move to hunt them and are constantly eating. Now I know that the abundance of food is a good thing, but there is one problem. Despite my newtlet's rapid feeding, the daphnia continue to multiply out of control. I'm worried that the daphnia will multiply so fast that their population will crash and take the newtlets down with them, how can I stop this from happening. Also the constant feeding has caused constant pooping and now what was once a clear bottomed tank has a light sediment of "newt sausages" building up. I can easily remove the waste but it's building up very quickly; each newtlet swims around with a chain of its poop trailing after it.

J

joseph

I would leave as is as your larvae should grow very fast. But if you are worried simply harvest a few out to feed whatever else you have. You could even put them in your adult tanks if you wanted.

J

jennifer

I would recommend getting rid of the "sediment" on a regular basis. In the process of getting rid of it, you will also be doing a partial water change and reducing some of the daphnia overpopulation. Are you putting daphnia food directly in the same container with the larvae? Do you have a backup culture of daphnia separate from the larvae? You could use the daphnia that come out with the sediment to set up another separate daphnia culture. You will eventually reach the point where the balance will tip, and the larvae will eat daphnia faster than the daphnia reproduce.

B

benjamin

The daphnia are reproducing in the same container as the larvae and I have a back up culture. I do not put any daphnia food in the larvae water, I assume that there is lots of green algae anyway because the water has a slight greenish tint. I originally put only about ten daphnia in with the larvae. They weren't touched because they were too large, now there must be hundreds of babies in there, in addition to some more adults.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1