Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Insects in my daphnia

F

frank

I just found an insect in my (shop bought) live daphnia. It is really fast, is shaped like white fly, like a long triangle, and is black and white. Does anyone know what this is?
Will it do anything bad to my baby axolotls?
I've tried to get rid of it, but it swims too fast for me to get!

F

frank

I looked at those sites, and thats not really what it looks like, it is more fly-like, with white wings and is definately triangular, whereas the water boatman seemed more rounded. I think I managed to get rid of it, but I have seen them before in the daphnia....

F

frank

I just found some more of those insects, they kind of have blueish dark bits at the end of their wings.... any ideas?

F

frank

I just found another creature in my daphnia, it looks snail like, with a really long neck (but no actual shell, just the shape resembles a snail) and two little antennae. Its smaller than the daphnia and swims by twirling around... should I worry about it? In fact should I worry about any insects I find in with my daphnia?

P

peter

If you can get a photo, or even a detailed drawing, we might be able to tell you more, Frank.

B

benjamin

Sounds like your twirling, shell less, antenaed "snail" is not really a snail at all, sounds a little bit like a mousquito pupae. These would be absolutely fine for a caudate but I won't jump to any conclusions with out a picture or drawing.

(Message edited by ben_tajer on November 23, 2004)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!