My daphia is dieing!

J

jeff

Well, what is the best source of action? I fear they cannot live without some sort of supplement!

What are you feeding them? Greenwater's best. You can grow this really easily with a small starter culture, a goldfish, and a bright plant light. Dump in the starter culture and the goldfish, turn on the light, and the greenwater will go nuts.

Joan, wouldn't the goldfish just eat all the daphnia?

Jeff, is the daphnia water usually clear or cloudy?

I was meaning a big goldfish, but I guess you're right. D'oh! How about just using goldfish (or newt) water? Full of ammonia-goodness.

Daphnia are often used as an indicator of water quality. If the water quality is going down the daphnia will die off.

Ed

(Message edited by Ed on November 29, 2005)

I did more research, and I think things are going ok. Its too bad there is no place to get a starter culture around here, I can't even find blackworms.
evil.gif

My daphnia cultures tended to ebb and bloom no matter how careful I was with the water conditions. This seems to be the case in the local ponds as well. They did best when I ignored them completely.

The good thing (at least with my cultures) is that they never completely die out. So you can always revive a culture when you need them.

Unfortunately a few months ago, I added gammarus and now I have a booming gammarus culture.
crazy.gif

One thing I do that I think they mention on the Daphnia page linked from this site is to set up quite a few different containers, even if only 20oz bottles, apart from my main culture. This keeps a steady flow of daphnia when I need them and if one crashes(like my main culture from an accidental intro of hydra last week) you have a seed for a new culture.

BTW I feed mine yeast since my green water isn't enough to sustain a larger culture until I get a bucket outside in the summer.

Pin-pin, The exact same thing happened to me. The addition of just a few gammarus in a huge Daphnia culture resulted in no Daphnia and tons of gammarus.

I think gammarus eat daphnia. I know they eat blackworms when given the chance. They are in my greenwater jar and at the most their are a few cyclops running around. I guess its a good thing for a constant source of greenwater.

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>Joseph S wrote on Tuesday, 06 December, 2005 - 23:15 :</font>

"gammarus eat daphnia."<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

Yes, that is exactly what they do. I'm sorry that the humor in my original post didn't come through.

It is along the same joke line as "I used to have a flock of lambs, then I added a few coyotes and now I have a flock of coyotes."

Hehe Pin-pin. I've heard it around a few times but was never sure whether or not they ate them or not. I find it hard to believe that a rather clumsy gammarus could catch a daphnia. Has anyone actually seen them do it?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back