Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Water Slater, <i>Asellus aquaticus</i>

J

john

The Water Slater, Asellus aquaticus, has built up a healthy population in one of my Daphnia cultures. I first introduced them to a culture in 1999 and that same culture is still going today - even when I moved to the UK I made sure it was kept alive back in Ireland. Here I present some photos of these armoured little monsters and handy "treat" live food.

Side View:
25471.jpg

View of the Underside:
25472.jpg

The Rear of a female seen from above. The light coloured objects appear to be eggs showing through the translucent armour from the other side:
25473.jpg

colin

Reaction score
Nice pics John!

i think that all of my tanks have a wee population of these guys secreted away somewhere, they came in with live food through the summer, must be good at hiding when they need to?!

J

john

Yes, they're good at hiding. I have old red bricks in three of my tanks and every time I lift the bricks there are usually a number of these little monsters underneath. I've seen Cynops chase these with a lot of enthusiasm.

J

jesper

Very nice photos!
How big are these guys? Maybe I'll get some when I go after Daphnia?

J

john

At a guess, a large male would be 1.5 cm. Most would be smaller though. Glad you like the photos.

J

jesper

Hmm, I did get some Asellus aquaticus when I went for Daphnia. At first I didn't think that they were Asellus aquaticus because I only saw them from above - they keep to the bottom and the backside is brown. I guess yours look so bright due to the flash eh?

I noticed mine had bred, anyone know how they "deposit" their young? Eggsacks?
I saw some rather big eggsacks - might just have been the snails though.

(Message edited by Jesper on December 16, 2004)

J

john

Jesper - the female carries the eggs around underneath her carapace, until the eggs hatch and you get little tiny slaters.

Yes, without bright lighting they are brown.

Juraj - I love watching my Cynops ensicauda popei chasing slaters over the gravel and into the plants.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1