Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Frozen blackworms (well, almost frozen)

J

jim

So, as I had mentioned in a previous post, my better half was so disturbed by having live blackworms in her fridge that I purchased a small bar fridge to keep my newt food in last weekend. Well, the temp seemed rather high so I decided to crank the think up all the way and when I got home from work and checked the worms, the aged tap water I use to rinse them was frozen almost solid and the worm keepers had a good quarter-inch of ice on the surface! I was surprised to see the worms wriggling away under the ice and promptly chipped them out. It has been several days and I don't think any have even died. As an interesting side note, ALL the leeches that were mixed in with the blackworms did die.
signs.gif

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I had a similar experience. I drive to a guys house to pick up my blackworms. He sits them outside in a styro with an ice pack. I get the blackworms and put the money in the box. He put them out one night when we were having an artic blast. Half of them started to freeze. I thawed them out and they were o.k. The leeches or whatever those things are all died also

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!