Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Flatworm buddies?

J

jazz

Hi!

I just bought a portion of blackworms to feed to the two surviving t.karelinii larvae of mine. I noticed something strange when I was rinsing them off; there are several large flatworms in with the blackworms. They are 1/4-1/2 inch in length and about 1/4inch in diameter. Are they just an added munchy bonus or something I should be concerned about? Does anyone know what they are? They rolled into balls when I was rinsing the worm blob and that's how they caught my eye.....

It's very strange to see them. Thanks for the help!!

C

charles

Are they a light brown with a dark line down the middle? If so, I get them when I buy my blackworms to, I didn't know what they were so I pick them out.

J

jennifer

Blackworms almost always come with these flatworms. They appear to be harmless to newts. I've heard that they prey on the blackworms themselves. Nothing to worry about.

J

jazz

Huh. ok. that's interesting. Thanks Jenn. I'll leave them alone.

R

roy

I always remove them as they eat blackworms but thats just a matter of taste. Plenty of blackworms anyway.

R

rachel

Same here. Once I sent a shipment back, but that was only because there were almost more flatworms than blackworms. Usually I pick them out while feeding out the worms if I can. As Jen mentioned, they are predators but I have never seen the numbers of blackworms diminish as a result of them.

J

joseph

I usually remove them and feed them to some of my adult newts(my orientalis really go for them).

findi

Herpetologist & Author
Reaction score
flatworms

Hi...they are leeches that prey upon blackworms -if you put a few in a container with some worms you can watch them suck the worms down. The leeches do not feed upon blood - oddly (to me, anyway!) - most leech species are predacious - blood-sucking appears to have evolved secondarily, in only a few groups. The leeches associated with blackworms are great scavangers, hiding by day in the substrate or below rocks, etc. and emerging at night to feed upon feces, leftover food and blackworms. They do specialize on blackworms however, and, at least in my experience, die off if not given blackworms from time to time. They do not harm fish or salamanders and attach elongated, leathery egg cases to rocks, filter cases, etc.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1