Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Feeding tubifex

justin

Reaction score
Alright, I've been unable to find any other food for my CFBies so I bought some tubifex at the store. I asked for a weeks worth and wound up with a 4 inch length of worms.

My question being: Is this ENTIRE mass worms, or are they clinging to something? How do I go about serving these to my animals (meaning) How do I seperate this mass into chunks my animal can deal with. Do I just grab a knife and go to work, whats the deal?

E

ester

the mass is all worms, I wouldn't know how to separate them by hand.. but I usually just dump such a clump (of course mine are much smaller) in with my newts and let them sort it out. If you have sand on the bottom of your tank they'll dig themselves in.

If you want to portion it, just pull it apart into smaller lumps I guess.

J

joeri

Tubifex is easy to separate. Put them in a bowl of water, stir and they will fall apart. Then take what you need before they crawl back together. Keep them cool so they live longer. It's not a bad idea to refresh their water every day.

And you probably know it's very poor quality food.

(Message edited by xixarro on June 25, 2005)

justin

Reaction score
Apparently my father was fed up with the stench (I was waiting the "poop" smell out, feeding them/water change in hopes of clearing out their systems before feeding them) of the worms and flushed them down my toilet.

Every morning since I've seen a few redworms in my toilet.... I'm bleaching it, needless to say.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1