Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Blackworm care

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
What is the best way to take care of blackworms. I don't use them often but plan to. I normally keep them in a tall delicup in the refrigerator. I rinse daily. I keep lots of water in the cup. Is their a better way? Do they need much water?

E

edward

Hi Mike,
At work we use the blackworm keepers that Calif. Blackworms sells.
If I split it between 2 or 3 keepers I can keep a 1/4 lb of worms for a month or more and I usually only rinse them every other day.
This has worked very well for me.

Ed

D

david

Hi Mike,
You don't want deep water, they like to be able to stick they're heads above water. I go through a pound and a half every couple of weeks. The blackworm keepers work well, but they would fill up my fridge, so I use a 14 inch long by 7 inch wide, by 4 inch deep plastic tray with just a little more water then enough to cover them and rinse them every other day. They're great food for larvae in particular. I use chopped blackworms to ween my larvae off of daphnia.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
How do I get the juvenile triturus to eat them? In shallow water or on land? Crickets are a pain.

J

jennifer

Some triturus juveniles will happily go into a shallow dish to eat blackworms. Some of the smaller more "hydrophobic" triturus might not (I'm not sure). Another food to consider is fly maggots, or maybe a dish of chopped earthworms.

You might do better with a shallow container instead of the deli cup. I wrote this up for an article I'm working on:

Here are the things I've learned about blackworms over the years:

1. Keep cold (fridge). (I have left them out overnight, though, and they were OK.)
2. Don't drown them (water should just barely cover them AND they should not be too deep in the container).
3. Rinse daily with cold (fridged) dechlor water.
4. Once some of them start to die, it's an exponential process (hopeless).
5. Find out what day of the week they arrive fresh to the petstore, and only buy fresh ones. Pet stores do not rinse/store them properly. They will often try to sell you their older ones, unless you specifically request the freshest ones. Also, in hot weather, their fresh ones may arrive in poor condition sometimes.

I keep them alive and healthy in the fridge for a month, maybe longer. They have no smell. I was able to do the same with the ones I used to buy at a pet shop, but only if I got good fresh ones. Hope this helps!

J

jennifer

One other suggestion: put some small pebbles in the water dish, and the blackworms won't crawl out as quickly. If they do crawl out, watch out for fouling of the substrate as they die.

joe

Reaction score
Let me add a few other postscripts to Jen's comments (all of which I completely agree with--they absolutely match my experience keeping blackworms).

1. I throw in an old oak leave and a piece of unbleached paper towel. I've heard it helps nourish them--don't know if that's true but it certainly hasn't seemed to have hurt my colonies.

2. The very first blackworm colony I had I used cold tap water (ie: it wasn't dechlorinated!). And they still did fine. Now I use declorinated (b/c it makes life easier getting them to the larvae and morphs for feeding).

3. I've had very small amounts of blackworms actually last for several weeks in water outside the fridge (for instance, some got out of their dish when it spilled, got into some rocks, I took the morphs out of the tank to change it and let it sit for a week before I had a chance to get all the rocks out, move plants, etc.--and discovered a thriving colony of blackworms!). But that experience aside, the cold helps slow up their metabolism, waste production and therefore they live longer when cold.

K

keegan

I used to rinse them by pouring water out of the container as best I could, then swirling in new stuff, swirling it out, loosing a couple worms down the sink, etc.... now I dump the whole colony into a fine net and rinse them with a stream of water from my tap (unchlorinated wellwater). Way easier. Maybe I'm the last person in the world to realize this.. but just in case...

Keegan

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1