Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Chinese Firebelly diet (need help first time asking)

K

keith

I have an 8 year male old chinese firebelly, it used to readily eat crickets and waxworms, but as it got older it wasnt able to catch fast prey, so I had to change it's diet. I try to vary it's diet. I feed it sinking newt pellets,frozen bloodworms,sun dried floating shrimp,live blackworms, and small-medium earthworms.

I never figured out how much and how often to feed the newt, but whatever I have been doing is obviously working. I would still like to know the right amount and how often to feed. And if the season also affects how much I should be feeding.

Also, the earthworms I feed it are usually 4-6 inches long, I clean off the dirt before feeding them to my newt. I dont use chemicals or fertilizers outside, but wash it off anyway. Anyway, if I give him a whole earthworm, how many days should it be before I give him another. Is there a limit how many I should be giving in a week? Earthworms are by far the most filling food I give him so i'm happy when he eats one, and he comes alive as he stalks the worms around the tank, it's great physical enrichment.

J

jennifer

In warmer weather, an amphibian's metabolism is higher and they need more food. Regarding the actual amounts to feed, that's a difficult thing to define. Firebelly newts don't really suffer from obesity, they stop eating when full, so I don't think there is any particular limit on the amount of food you should offer. The only danger from excess food is that, if left there, it can decay in the tank and cause the water to foul.

K

keith

I tried it, and he will eat a whole worm every other day, I just dont want him to get dependent on them because once winter comes I cant find any.

J

jennifer

Go to www.google.com and type in this query:
West Babylon New York bait shop
You'll find several places that can help you find worms all winter. Walmart fishing depts also often have earthworms.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!