Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Anyone here ever use Roaches as feeders ?

B

brian

Please tell me any of your experiences related to this question

E

edward

While I have not used roaches for caudates I have fed them to anurans and lizards.

Ed

J

juraj

I still have an excess of Naphoeta cinerea, Blaberus, Eublaberus etc. but I don`t feed them to newts. If I did I`d be careful because it`s a really fat diet. Another disadvantage is that they have pretty strong shell. Small nympha could be fed sometimes but I think it`s more suitable diet for reptiles.

J

jesse

i find that roaches are too fast for most salamanders unless they are in an aquatic setting. terrestrially no i dont use them, used them once and the roaches never got eaten due to the speed.

pollywog

Reaction score
I have used Argentinian Cockroach (Blaptica dubia) on large species of anura. But I do not think that they would be very suitable for caudates, as mentioned above they are very fast making them virtually impossible to catch unless hand fed and they are not easily digestible due to the hard shell.

F

foster

Brian,
I keep a culture of wood roaches (a local species - I'm not sure of which kind). The Tylototriton shanjing that I have seem to relish them (as they do most foods that I offer). Certain individuals of both T. tailengensis and T. kweichowensis also eat them as well while others do not. Worth mentioning is that I forcep feed all of these animals individually and this particular roach species is soft bodied - at least compared to Madagascan hissers and some of the central and south american species that I have worked with in the past.
Chip

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!