I have hundreds outside!!

T

travis

Is there any nutritional value for newts and sal's from ladybugs? It seems a rather large swarm has moved into the field next to my house and i figure i might be able to use them as a free food source. Some other sites have said that they will in the wild... i'm just wondering (from the experts who raise CB) if anyone has fed ladybugs and if it is a good idea. Thanks!

most things i've read/seen about ladybugs mention their bitter taste, thats why much like sal's they use bright colors to warn predators not to eat them. theres lots of potential meals that our pets would eat in the wild but i wouldn't risk introducing them due to stress or injury that may result in captivity(think beetles, centipedes, spiders,ants,etc)

I read somewhere that they're bad, but I can't remember where I read it.

Ladybirds are a big no no. They spew out sticky and smelly chemicals form there sides and aren't very healthy either.

Excellent, thanks for clearing that up for me. You guys are amazing! I'll just stick with worms and crickets for now.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back