Milipedes?

D

dane

anyone ever feed milipedes to their sals?

ive read that they can emit some kind of musk thing so they dont taste good

It's probably not a good idea. What kind of millipedes were you planning to feed. I find some millipedes that dont emit this chemical.

Why do you plan to feed your salamanders millipedes in the first place, their hard and have little nutrition.

(Message edited by reid_h on September 24, 2006)

I found two lastnight(when I was out looking for worms), and was wondering the same thing. Mine was about 1 in. I went ahead and put them in a 10 gal. tank I'm setting up for my four marm's, but if they are bad, I will have to find them and get them out.

well I find a lot of them in my yard when i look for food, and I was just wondering if they were ok to eat

If your talking about Narceus americanus then dont feed it to your salamanders/newts, these millipedes can release a chemical that doesn't taste well and also contains small amounts of hydrogen cyanide, this poison may cause irritated eyes and allergic reactions.

Im still not sure what kind they are, Im having troubless taking pics of them Ill try to get some tonight

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back