Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hornworm (Agrius cingulata) to tiger salamanders

R

reid

Can I feed these to my tigers? They feed on sweet potato leaves, I find them on okinowin sweet potato.

J

joan

I believe they're toxic due to chemicals in potato plants. Ed K would know more.

R

reid

I know potato leaves are toxic but what about sweet potato leaves?

E

edward

They should be fine as sweet potato leaf are supposed to be non-toxic. However this relates only to the ones on sweet potatos, horn worms found on tomato and tobacco plants are toxic (a different species of spinx moth).

Ed

K

kyle

Not to cause too much of a ruckus.... but I think its worth noting that when I used to keep a veiled chameleon a couple years back, I would feed him Tomato horn worms whenever I found them in the summer in the garden with no problems. They were probably his favorite snack.

It may have been a fluke, but on what basis do we constitute these caterpillar larva as toxic, is it anecdotal, or is there solid research?

R

reid

Tomato and tobacco leaves are toxic.

(Message edited by reid_h on September 22, 2006)

R

roy

It's very dangerous to say that it's not toxic for a newt if it's not toxic for a Chameleon. Different animals react totally different to certain toxins.
A lot of (for us)toxic berries are eaten by birds but on the other hand cabbage is toxic to a lot of animals.

R

reid

Kyle was talking about the tomato and tobacco hornworm, which he fed to his chameleon, I was talking about the sweet potato hornworm.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1