Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How do i take care of my newt

B

barbara

i just found my newt outside in my backyard, and dont have a clue how to take care of it or what to feed it. I know that it was eating pincher bugs but those are hard to catch can anyone help me?

J

jennifer

First read these FAQ:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/faq/faq.shtml

If you decide that you cannot provide appropriate food and housing, it would be the most humane thing to release it back into your yard. Keep in mind that newts can live for 20 years, so it's a long responsibility. They generally need cool temperatures, which are often hard to achieve indoors.

B

barbara

what would i usually feed my newt who i named newty crickets mostly insects right but is there something else that you can feed to them that you could buy at walmart or somewhere like that

K

karen

Try either frozen bloodworms, live blackworms or chopped up earthworms. These foods are better (in my opinion) and more desired by newts than freeze dried foods or pellets. Many pet stores such as petsmart, petco etc will carry various frozen foods (as well as the pellet variety). If you're lucky, you can find a pet store that sells live worms. Just don't feed them fish food. There's an article on this site which discusses the food options for newts and rates them, just do a search under "food".

B

barbara

now insects are a proper and correct diet for newts correct but should i sometimes add the worms, as the previous person, karen just stated that worms are good for newts or should it be apart of my nenwts daily diet

J

jennifer

You can buy Canadian nightcrawlers at Walmart in the fishing department. You'll need to cut them into bite-sized pieces. This is what I use as a staple diet for many species.

B

barbara

thanks for ur help my newt so far has been happy.
ill try it for another week and if it looks like he doesnt care for it ill ask for help.Thanxs

B

barbara

how would i set up my newt tank thing, dirt, woodchips? could i put live plants inside my newt tank, like grass, or should i put plastic plants so that it looks like his natural inviroment never changes? if i did put dirt as my newts ground floor should i keep it moist or damp?how cold of tempature are we talking about 60-70 degrees, maybe less?would slugs be a good source of food what about pincher bugs or any other kinds of insects?im sorry about all these ?'s ill ask one at atime a big mouth full here. well thanxs

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1