Best food for an under weight newt?

L

lauren

whats the best kind of food for an underweight adlt red-spotted newt?
It seems teh other two newts in the tank went after the food right away but this one takes its time so its getting skinny.
I seperated it and left it a broken up reptomin stick and 3 guppy fry, im out of bloodworm but i'll give it that too when i pick up a new pack

can I ofer a little frozen thawed fish like salmon or seabass? and if i can should it be fed raw?

A little raw fish would be good, but first and foremost I'd recommend earthworms. If you can find really small worms, those are great. If not, buy Canadian nightcrawler bait worms and cut them into bite sized pieces. Worms are a very good staple for newts, and the high fat content should help keep weight on a skinny one.

Some newts that become skinny never recover to full weight, though. Has this newt always been skinny? It could be parasites or other problems.

she wasnt always skinny, i think either the other two hog the food. She ate a bite of repto-min last night and this morning i handfed her the 3 guppies becuase she couldnt catch them herself.
its still cold here so the baitshop is the only place i might be able to get worms.

If the tankmates are hogs, then hand-feeding is a good idea. You may need to do this at each feeding to make sure the thin one eats. Baitshop worms are fine - just be aware that the smaller worms (redworms) are sometimes rejected by newts due to smell. Nightcrawlers are accepted by virtually all.

she doing pretty good eating wise right now i've been placeing her in a plastic container of shallow water and giving her chopped earthworm, frozen blood worms, ociasionly guppy fry, and a little reptomin, she doesnt eat much of the reptomin if any but everything else gets eaten and i leave teh container floating in her tank so she can just crwal out when she's done.

I might just keep her in a seperate tank perminantly

my FBN was underweight too i just fed em mesquito larve its frozen and really good for em

What about waxworms? Not as a staple, but as an addition to a skinny newt's diet.

waxworms would be pretty messy to cut up i think? I give them to my lizards occasionly and they seem pretty squishy
i've never seen ones small enough for my newt to take in one bite. guess I'll check them out when im at the store

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back