Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Feeding Springtails

I

ian

I have started with a springtail culture with pea moss as subtrate.
However, I should I get the springtails out and feed my morphs?

justin

Reaction score
You can add water and float them out and use a spoon to collect them. That or you can add expanding peat plugs, they come in disks and expand in humdity. Those you let the springtails crawl up on and you can either put them in the tank or shake them off the plug. I have used either method. In Ecuador the lab would use and turkey baster and blow the springtails off the peat and into another cup. This works best only when you have a great deal of them to harvest. I had switched to using leca or gravel and a bit of water-- to collect I flooded them and poured the water into another cup. This I dumped into the tanks.
j

I

ian

Thanks for the suggestion.
I have tried the flooding method suggested. but I have seen one problem. The problem is that I am pouring too much water into the soil of the tank. but I dont want to accumulate too much moisture in the tank. Any suggestion?

P

paul

Try flooding the container used for culturing and the pouring the water/springtails into a brine shrimp net and then just toss them into the tank.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!