Reputable online live food sites

J

jeff

I am trying to find a good supplier of blackworms and possible brine shrimp. I like aquaticfoods.com
what is the word on those guys and what else has been proven to be good? thanks in advance.

Also, for the new axis I am getting, they are newborns and I read a article from John that said it would be fine to collect pondwater with the larvae, daphnia, and other yum-yums and just get rid of the bad bugs(boatmen, large larvae, dragon fly nymphs and such. then just drop the axies in and let them go at it. This sounds like bacteria and other disease might be a problem. Anyone try this or know of someone who has??

Jeff I two am looking for the exact same thing, though only blackworms. I raise my own brine shrimp though I can only raise a few at a time. But yes dose anywon know a question to this quetsion?

helloo!? Can anyone comment on this or should I post it someplace else?

I get a shipment from aquaticfoods (=California Blackworms) about once/month most of the year. The only other blackworm supplier that I'm aware of is Carolina Biological. Their price per ounce is higher, but I think they may be willing to sell smaller amounts. The minimum order from aquaticfoods is 8 ounces (1/2 lb.), which costs $25 once you add in all the shipping charges.

yes that was my original question, but as for the pond water axie feeding technique, I still need to get a response.

I've used water from outdoor tubs, basically just picking out mosquito larvae with a basting bulb. Very time consuming, but the mossie larvae were eaten with gusto.

On another occasion, I did some trawling in a pond with a brine shrimp net and got a good collection of copepods. I kept them in a container of old tank water for a few days as I fed them to the larvae.

Not much experience, maybe some other folks have more.

Aquaticfoods says that they actually include shipping with the small orders, I hope i am right beacuse I think they charged me 23.75 for a 1 pound bag. Allthough I am not sure if I should keep them in the cold garage or setup a tank with moss for them, i hope to keep the lot alive for a few months untill my axies get bigger.

For keeping the blackworms alive for a month, follow the instructions from the website carefully!
http://www.aquaticfoods.com/blackwormcare.html
Rinse daily in cold water. Do not use water with chlorine, but also do not use water that has dechlorinating chemicals added, as worms don't like that either. The worms either need to be airated (if you use a tank), or else kept very shallow in a small tub (they can drown). I keep mine like it's shown in the 3rd photo here:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/worms.shtml

Thanks Jen! I just got my worms, but now I have a new problem, the axies are scared of them! some of the worms are way bigger then them too. At 23 bucks a pound these guys are more expensive then lobster... I must say they are also really creepy and I don't useally get sqemish. Can I somehow seperate the small ones from the larger ones useing a seive or something only the small ones can get though?

Hmm, I just chopped mine up when feeding larvae as they were quite big in comparison at first and could scare them. It's up to you how small you want to chop them. The smaller pieces the less movement, but movement can stimulate hunting instinct if not too large.

I often do separate out very small blackworms, but I do it manually, using an eyedropper to pull out the tiny ones, one-by-one. Very tedious, but it works if you have only a few mouths to feed.

For large numbers of larvae, do what Garrison says. Chop 'em. I use a straight-edge razor blade.

i think that my feeding problems are the least of my issues right now, however I have yet to figure out what would work good for daphnia food.
I guess fish flakes would work

Fish flakes do not work well for daphnia food. They need some kind of food that makes the water cloudy. Not foul-cloudy, but suspended-particle cloudy, if you know what I mean. For example, yeast that has been dissolved in water before adding to the daphnia. Or other "powdery" things shaken in water, such as soy powder or spirulina powder.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back