Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Book on culturing feeder items

E

edward

Recently translated and published by Krieger Press
Breeding Food Animals, Live Foods for Vivarium Animals by Ursula Friederich and Werner Volland.
On a first scan it looks to be useful for those interested in raising their own food animals. Additionally it contains a graphic on how to distinguish Eisenia from Lumbriculus.

Ed

A

alan

On Ed's recommendation, I ordered and have just received a copy of this book. It is excellent. Of several books I own on this topic, this is easily the best. Highly recommended!

morg

Reaction score
Alan
With you already being the UK king of livefood culturing, does this book give you any tips that you didnt already know?
Also will you now be trying to culture any different insects?

A

alan

Quick scan so far - yes, lots of things I didn't know.

New livefoods? Well, I'll be trying the bean weevils for my dartfrogs.

Caudates? Well, I could always try whiteworms *again*
blob.gif

A

alan

Out of interest Mike, what are you feeding the firebrats to - terrestrials I assume.

Have they eaten your house yet?
wink.gif

E

edward

I also recommend the book and as a consequence have begun culturing a small grain weevil. I passed some cultures out at the Mid Atlantic Dendrobatid Society meeting a few weeks back.

Ed

A

alan

Ed, is this grain weevil different to the bean weevils, and if so, "better" or "worse"?

E

edward

Alan,
It is a small black weevil that shows up in bird seed bags...
It is easy to culture and is about the size of a D. hydei (so it doesn't match the bean weevil description). It doesn't appear able to climb glass so I culture them in a large 1 gallon jar (3.9 l) in millet bird seed. I collect them by placing a piece of paper towel in the jar. When I touch the towel the weevils play dead and I grab the towel by the corners and lift and dump into the enclosure. Its enough to allow me to supply some variety to the frogs.

Ed

J

jarid

Have you tried feeding the weevils to any caudates Ed? Or their larvae?

E

edward

The larva are contained in the seeds and are not available unless I crack the seeds individually (too much work). At this time, I don't have any caudates at home small enough for these guys. (I think my Tylototritons wouldn't even see them).

Ed

J

jarid

Ah, I see. I would really like to give them a try though. I will check out a couple local bird stores. I wonder if plethodon would take them.

pollywog

Reaction score
A friend of mine cultured Grain Weevils for quite a while, he was given them by his science teacher after using them for experiments in school.
I think he cultured them in oats.

(Message edited by pollywog on January 11, 2005)

mike

Reaction score
Yes Alan, the Thermobia are eaten avidly by terrestrials, especially juvenile delinquent fire sals.....I suppose that they could be termed "firebrats" too.

The house is still standing, perhaps a little off the perpendicular though.
wink.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1